Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uni: Waikato vs VUW

nomadman is offline Junior Member

Default Uni: Waikato vs VUW

Hi,

My wife and I are planning to continue our studies in NZ. I will be doing a 2 yr masters program in water science and she will do a graduate diploma of teaching to work as a primary teacher. What is the public opinion of having a degree from Waikato vs VUW? I think both towns would be great to live in but I get the impression Waikato may be a bit cheaper.

Thanks,

Scott

starbuck is offline Junior Member
    Bucks, UK (originally from Ngaruawahia New Zealand..)

Hiya, I vote for Hamilton, I did my first degree there and my family and I are returning to NZ in October where I am doing GdipT in early Childcare at Waikato. Its a nice town with everything you need, close to beaches, Auckland and has many nice pubs and I think the cafe scene has hit too!!

T

People Space is offline Senior Member

And here's a vote for VUW.
    I have studied at Otago, Vic and Canterbury, and recommend them in that order.(Subject to the course you require being offered there!)
    Vic has the advantage over Waikato of being in a more metropolitan centre. There are so many cultural and outdoor activities right at your doorstep to distract you from your studies! Accommodation can be relatively expensive, but Wellington is a great place to live.

dean is offline Junior Member

Heya - I did the Post Grad Dip Teaching (primary) at VUW and would recommend it. Can't speak to schooling at Waikato, but I can say that I didn't think too much of Hamilton as a place to live. Wellington on the other hand is very cosmopolitan with heaps of cultural events/bars/restaurants/etc going on. A much prettier location as well. Good luck!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Waikato University 'will turn students away'
    By NATALIE AKOORIE - Waikato Times
    Last updated 12:30 28/08/2009

At a time when unemployment is rising, Waikato University will next year be turning away people because of restrictions on student numbers, according to Labour Party leader Phil Goff.

Yet the university has the capacity to cater for another 1500 students.

Both Mr Goff and Education Minister Anne Tolley yesterday had separate private meetings with university Vice-Chancellor Roy Crawford to discuss the Government-enforced enrolment caps.

Afterwards, Mr Goff told the Waikato Times there were people wanting to attend the university next year who would probably be turned away because of the restrictions on student numbers.

"It seems astonishing that at a time when we've just had the biggest increase in unemployment in any one quarter, the university next year will be faced with turning away students."

In 2007, the Tertiary Education Commission capped equivalent fulltime students at tertiary institutions until 2010.

Funding could be taken away if institutions exceeded, or fell short of, predicted student numbers by more than 3 per cent.

"They're (Waikato University) already 106 per cent of what they're funded to be," Mr Goff said.

Professor Crawford had outlined the university's capacity to take on as many as 1500 extra students because it already had the building space and staff to do so, Mr Goff said.

"So for a relatively low cost you could be adding high value in terms of human skills and education, and instead next year we'll be paying probably a billion dollars a year in unemployment benefits to pay people while they're out of work, but without upskilling them."

"We could actually be using the time of the recession to upskill students so that when we come out of the recession, which we should do next year, we've got a more highly skilled and educated workforce".

Those thought to be first in the firing line are the numbers accepted for Pathways courses, which have about 270 students currently.

This number is predicted to drop to 40 by next year.

The pre-degree courses, which help students into tertiary education, would come under pressure as the university focused more on under-graduate and post-graduate courses.

"So you stop the process of people staircasing to higher levels of qualification and education," Mr Goff said.

Earlier this year the university was funded for up to 8165 students. Mrs Tolley was not available to meet the Times.

A spokesman said she and Prof Crawford talked about measures to bring the university back within the cap.

"Professor Crawford understands the pressures it puts on his institution and the Government when it goes over the cap, and is looking at ways to manage that," the spokesman said.
    Ad Feedback

"The minister is watching the situation carefully and working with the New Zealand Vice-Chancellors' Committee. They meet on a regular basis and discussions are ongoing."

He said Mrs Tolley had asked all tertiary institutions to closely monitor management and performance to ensure the country was getting good educational and financial value for money in the face of the recession.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Got to love the way the Labour Party is having a dig at the National government over the student caps when the student caps were introduced by Labour when they were in power. Talk about farting and blaming the dog.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Default Education Cuts

We are getting hammered here in Georgia as well. The state has cut the higher education budget by about 15% over the last 2 years. This means smaller, more specialized classes have been cut and more students are being squeezed into existing classes. Try 300 students in an intro chem or bio class, not fun. The good news is that my wife received here acceptance letter from Waikato yesterday so we are both in. We are going with Waikato because there are 3 professors working in hydrology there, including the head of the earth science dept, while VUW has only one lecture. Also, the education dept seems to be more respected. Now come the fun of funding and visas. Thank you all for your help.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on your acceptance: exciting times!

Jetty Candy is offline Junior Member

Welcome to Hamilton! I'd been in Hamilton for 6 years and LOVE it. It's so central and close to a lot of attractions and so much to do during the weekends. Also there is good job opportunities. It's an industry and agriculture centre. Good luck!

Well... looks like our plans have changed. Communication with Waikato has been difficult. Hy wife has been waiting 2 weeks for an answer to a question about us finical aid. She has sent several emails and has even called, to no avail. Her emails and the voicemail she left have gone unanswered. We have both been to several schools and decided that this was a bad sign. VUW, on the other hand, has been quick with their responses and very courteous. Looks like we will be moving from small town Georgia (Athens) to the big city . Any tips on Wellington?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast