Thread: How Soon can you become a Resident?

Kazz is offline Junior Member

Default How Soon can you become a Resident?

Application process diagram

I looked at the diagram above and it seems to suggest that in some cases you can become a resident before even entering NZ.

Is that true?

Or you are placed on Work to Residency which can take 2 years.

So if NZ immigration give you residency status from your application, is that permant residency?
    Would that be under skilled migration or you must have plenty of points?

Unless i get a job offer i have little opportunity for PR at the start as i only get 95 points - Archivists/Record Managers should get more points!!!

Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
    Application process diagram

I looked at the diagram above and it seems to suggest that in some cases you can become a resident before even entering NZ.

Is that true?
    Yes, you can if you have the right skills that are needed in NZ and you have enough points to apply. As you can't quite reach the minimum number of points, then a job offer would be most helpful in that respect.

To apply for a WTR visa, you would also need a job offer and you can work for 2 years to get residency unless you can manage to get enough points to apply before that.

If INZ grant you residency, that will mean you have permanent residency. It remains 'permanent' as long as you play by the rules . Applying under the Skilled Migrant Category and having plenty of points amounts to the same thing. Some skilled migrants don't quite have enough points to apply so they go for the WTR visa instead and get extra points for NZ work experience, which helps them to apply for their PR.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Kazz is offline Junior Member

I didnt want to start another thread so i have a similar question here

As my profession of archivist/records manager is not on the long term/short term skills shortage list is my only option to go through Work to Residency, by getting a job at an accredited employer like Auckland council for example?

If i was to get a job offer, it would take my points total above 100 on the skilled migration test so could i not still apply through skilled migration? as archivist is recognised as a skilled profession, but not one with a huge shortage. It is mentioned in the Operations Manual as a skilled profession and also as Level 1 skilled profession here
    ANZSCO

How many points do you get for a job offer in a profession not on the long term or short term skills shortage list?
    If its 50 points then i would hit 145 should i get a job offer

Its just that i have seen 5 jobs this week which i could apply for so its bugging me! Hope more are available in the future!
    Soon i am going to start applying and hope for the best
    Last edited by Kazz; 10-08-2009 at 11:09 AM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If your job title isn't on the skill shortage lists, it is very difficult to gain residency unless you find a job with an accredited employer i.e. someone who has approval to recruit from overseas or a company that genuinely can't find a kiwi to do the job. In the latter case, it would have to be proved that a kiwi can't be found to fill the position.

You could apply for a work permit through having a skilled job title but that wouldn't necessarily lead to residency. For the long term, NZ tends to take in only the skills that it is really short of and this is where the problem lies .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.