Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going on holiday to NZ in Nov/Dec - Any tips?

Kazz is offline Junior Member

Default Going on holiday to NZ in Nov/Dec - Any tips?

Alright folks,

This is the first step on the NZ train for me. I thought have to check it out if i'm planning on going. This is a research/networking trip.

I am going for a week in Auck and a week in Wellington. First time i'm going

I plan to do the following

1) Check the jobs market. No jobs = no chance of going. I am planning to bombard the NZ record keeping mailing list with requests for meetings and also to meet some fellow brits who made the move. See what visa they went under and how they got a job. I am an archivist in the UK and am currently saving some to make the move. WAS SO ANNOYED to see a job on seek.nz which i could do but dont have the 2 years work experience or cash to make the move immediately. In summer 2010 i aim to start applying for jobs there as i will have the experience and cash to make a move asap. I need to get my face known so when i apply in future they know who i am. Might even make some good contacts!

2) check out house/apartment prices. Need to know how much i will need to save

3) check out general living costs such as food, public transport & clothes etc

4) Meet plenty of locals maybe even see a NZ cricket match.

5) check out the sites and have some fun!

Does anyone reccommend any thing i should see/do in order to boost my emigration chances or have a better understanding of the place?

Also is jetstar the best airline for cheap internal flights? Need one for Auck to Well trip and return. They seem decent.
    Got my UK/NZ flights on Cathay Pacific for a decent price + stop over in Hong Kong

Cant wait

francis1962 is offline Member

Default Move around

Hi Kazz

You're going to have a great time but try to use the trip to enjoy yourself more

We've been twice for a total of 5 weeks and if you want to meet Kiwis get yourself to the resorts as well as the major cities

2 days in each of Auckland and Wellington will suffice

Use the internet to check rental prices & the job markets

Visit Mt Manganui, Napier & Rotarua

We did the motorhome, great way to travel but can be expensive!

Enjoy

Francis

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by francis1962 View Post
    We did the motorhome, great way to travel but can be expensive!
    I've read that the motorhome thing can be very expensive and a better option was to hire a car and either stay in motels (be careful to check out your room is satisfactory first before registering) or finding campsites that have cabins or maybe caravans for rent. Renting a bach might be good although, depending on where they are, they could be more expensive. I guess that would be more for longer stays. Travelling by car would be more flexible because of ease of manoeuverability.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Moving about sounds good

Plan to hire a car in Aucks and go about to all the near sites
    Use public transport in Wells as its smaller

As itinerary is not fixed might do
    5 nights in Auck
    4 in Well
    and 4 in Christchurch

I need to check the cities out mainly as my job is most likely to be found in one of the big 3 cities

WELL
    i'm now off to Aucks, Central North Island and Wellington only as thats where most of the jobs are for me.
    I got one appointment in Auckland and one in wellington with prospective employers and thats all i'm aiming for as i want to explore as much as possible whilst on holiday.

Going to many places in and around Rotorua and Hamilton and just driving about, stopping at whatever seems nice!

ALSO my dream job has come up in Wellington and i applied for it. I wasnt planning on going to NZ until early 2011 but if something came up now i'd go. Just hope i get a telephone interview! If not, i've definitley made a good contact as the guy on the phone said he would show me round Wellington when i'm there. Got to develop those networking skills!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you've made a good start, Kazz . Hope your meetings go well and something comes of at least one of them
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

moggy is offline God like figure

If you p checking the jobs market, do not go just before xmas - the job market shuts down till mid January. Also accommodation is a lot more expenisve.
    There are a lot of small campervans that you can hire which are no bigger than a car but are exceptionally well done out inside.
    I would definitely recommend you get a car if you are wanting to see any of NZ other than the city centres. Outside of the cities public tansport is almost non existent.

sorry to bother you guys again

but could anyone recommend a good car hire firm for both Auckland and Wellington?

Nearly got everything sorted

kiwiguy is offline Member

I see these cars every where and there rates are good

Jucy Rentals
    Jucy | New Zealand Car Rentals and Campervan Hire | Jucy Deals Sweet Prices

or a camper van place
    wicked campers
    Campervan Hire New Zealand, Camper Van Rentals, Wicked Campers NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
    sorry to bother you guys again

but could anyone recommend a good car hire firm for both Auckland and Wellington?

Nearly got everything sorted

Tribesman is offline Member

We are going at Xmass also for 23 days to Christchurch. Our third time there. Its best to hire a car as they are fairly cheap, but things are quiet expensive at that time of year. On the 3 times my wife and i went we hired a car from Ace Car Hire the best price i could get and we were very happy with the service. You will have a great time and do alot of home work and also enjoy yourself with holliday as well. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast