Thread: when to start work

francis1962 is offline Member

Default when to start work

Hi

If and hopefully when I am accepted for immigration as a skilled migrant do I have to start work immediately on arrival or is it possible to have a few weeks to settle in?

I plan on having a 2 months off between jobs and would rather spend that time in NZ as our projected time is Feb next year.

Who wants to have time off in UK in Feb!!?

Francis

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you were issued a residence visa, you must still meet some requirements to ensure you remain a New Zealand resident.

* If you claimed points for an offer of skilled employment, you must take that job up within three months of being granted your permit. You must also stay in that job for at least three months and provide us with evidence that you have met these requirements within seven months of being granted your first residence permit.
    * If you got points for already having a skilled job that you have held for less than three months, you must stay in the job until three months is up.

From here.

Otherwise, if you don't claim points for a job offer, it looks like you aren't restricted to a time. In either case it appears you can have some time off before you need to start work if you move down to NZ pretty quickly after being granted PR .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default lazy time

Thanks MotherBear

That's what I hoped for, a little bit of time off to explore the surroundings and gather how NZ works.

We've been over twice in the last 12 months for a total of 5 weeks but holiday never compares with daily living.

Incidently if my wife wants to do voluntary work does she need a working visa?

Francis

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by francis1962 View Post
    Incidently if my wife wants to do voluntary work does she need a working visa?
    If you already hold PR by the time your wife wants to look for voluntary work, she won't need anything because she should also be holding PR and will be allowed to work, whether voluntarily or not. If she won't have PR by then, she could take on voluntary work, but really should apply for a Specific Purposes Visa or a work visa of some kind because even voluntary workers need to be covered by some kind of work visa.

If you wish to work in New Zealand, you require a work visa/permit. As a voluntary worker, you may qualify for a Specific Purpose work visa/permit.

Holders of visitor permits cannot work in New Zealand. If you wish to work,you must first obtain a work visa/permit. This applies to volunteer work as well.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

That's excellent news

As I should have PR within 3 months of starting work she will have plenty of time to chill & probably to decide she never wants to work again

Obviously in that time there will be a lot organising to keep her occupied but I do understand that those who independently get themselves involved in the community settle much quicker

Francis