Thread: return flight/onward travel from NZ

plughole is offline Junior Member

Default return flight/onward travel from NZ

Hi,
    I am currently looking for a temporary teaching post anywhere in NZ. However, time is running out for me to sort my temporary work permit before I leave England. The problem is that our return flights are over the 6 month visitor visa period. Immigration say that I need to make sure we have 'onward/return travel arrangements.
    Does this mean a one-way ticket somewhere or could we book a package holiday somewhere from NZ?
    Please help - anyone??????????

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Plughole

I'm trying to figure out your situation. You have booked return flights to NZ but the return flight is after your 6-month visit visa expires? If so, have you thought about extending your visit visa? You should be able to extend for another 3 months which should, hopefully, be sufficient time to get a work permit. However, the problem lies in how long it would take you to find a teaching position. You wouldn't be able to apply for a work visa/permit until you have a job offer.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi, Thanks
    I'm hoping to get a fixed term position so I can get a work permit. Teaching agencies are looking for me for term 4 and term 1. I just want to experience living and working abroad for a few months.
    How do you apply for an extended visa?

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

I came over on a temporary work visa, and what that meant was that I had to have a round trip ticket (or onward trip ticket, say to Australia, or somewhere else). I think the idea is they want to make sure you don't come for a visit and get "stranded" in New Zealand as a visitor, even if you have a work permit. I planned to stay here and file for permanent residence, but that little detail was checked more than once before, and when I got to New Zealand.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plughole View Post
    How do you apply for an extended visa?
    Can I apply for a further visitor permit?
    You can apply for further visitor permits while you are here, so long as you do not exceed the total maximum time allowed for visitors. In many cases this is nine months out of an 18-month period, but you may be eligible to stay for a maximum of 12 months. You’ll have to show that during your stay:

* you have supported yourself financially, and have enough money to continue supporting yourself and
    * you have not worked, been sponsored, or held a student permit.

If you gain this extension you will have to leave New Zealand at the end of the 12 months and remain away for 12 months or more before you can again return as a visitor.

To find out more, see our Visit pages.

From here.

I guess you would have to pop along to one of the INZ branches nearest to you and apply for your extension, making sure you do it with sufficient time before your current permit expires. I don't see anything on their website to say you can apply online but maybe I'm missing it.
    Mother Bear

Thanks for that.
    Because my return flight extends the 6 month visa period will i have to buy another onward flight out of NZ before I leave England?
    What sort of onward flight should I get? A 1 way ticket or return. We would like to go to fiji for a week while we're there so would this be okay????????

Anyone???????

Would a return flight to Fiji be okay to show immigration?

Blog Entries

An onward ticket is an onward ticket, so Fiji should be fine. If you already have onward (return) flights booked, would you be able to alter the date to suit your purpose instead?
    Mother Bear

Yeah, that would be the ideal solution but we need the flights in June next year for the W cup in S Africa. We've got the tickets booked and they are like gold dust!!!!

Thanks for your help.