Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current job hunting climate

markh is offline Junior Member

Default Current job hunting climate

Hello all, well we will arrive in Auckland in about 8 weeks. The house is sold and we move back move back to the UK before flying out. We are flying out on visit visas and taking it from there...

I'm wondering if anyone is job hunting in Auckland, Bay of Plenty or Hamilton at the moment and can comment on the job market?

I work with IT sales and I'm looking for anything in this area or generally the sales and marketing arena , does anyone have any current experience regarding finding work in these areas?

I'd appreciate any feedback!

nikkisnell is offline Junior Member

Hi there

I came out to NZ in Dec 2008 and too was on a visitors visa....

Having looked for work i mamanger to get a job with a bank but a low level [position... my work permit application has taken forever and now they are saying a kiwi could do the job!

The jobs are around but i was finding there were over 100 applicants for most positions!!! and also employers wont touch people without work permits... you cant get a work pemrit without a job offer so its a no win situation.

Plus the immigration minister was on TV the other day saying they arent giving out many permits as they want kiwi's in the jobs (which is understandable)

anyway i would seriously think hard about coming out without a job,,,,,

good luck anyway :-)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nikkisnell View Post
    ... my work permit application has taken forever and now they are saying a kiwi could do the job!
    Now I'm confused. I tried to answer your query on your other thread but didn't realise you already knew about the work permit thing. I thought you were asking how you could start work before your PR was granted. Never mind, perhaps someone will find it useful.

The work situation in NZ does seem to be getting pretty bad because there are so many returning kiwis who need jobs. The media is now getting hold of this, as you can read in the What's in the News? category on here. I would agree that it would be advisable, these days, to try to get a job offer before heading out to NZ. Some NZ employers do tend to use the old excuse of not being able to employ you because you haven't got a WP, but they should know that you have to have the job offer first. It's their way of getting out of employing an expat.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Keyrecruiment.co.nz is offline Junior Member

The job market differs from region to region and profession to profession.

Unfortunately you will find it EXTREMELY difficult to find work or get Work Permit approval for a sales position.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keyrecruiment.co.nz View Post
    Unfortunately you will find it EXTREMELY difficult to find work or get Work Permit approval for a sales position.
    Ah, yes. In my haste I hadn't taken that bit in. I would tend to agree with this unless, maybe, you were at a higher management level.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

phani2020 is offline Junior Member

hi

since you have experience in IT SALES (B2B) I advise you to consider a job in pharmaceutical sales like G.P Representative, or medical consumables. Though these jobs are in sales and marketing, they will come under skill level 1. At present synergy consulting are the pioneers in recruiting and career councelling for this industry. So google it and talk to them.

good luck

=phani

Quote Originally Posted by Keyrecruiment.co.nz View Post
    The job market differs from region to region and profession to profession.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the feedback. I spoke to someone who I know, they work in recruitment and they said there are jobs out there and there was no reason why I shouldn't be able to get a job. However, getting a temp work permit maybe a different situation. It would only need to obtain this to bridge the gap between getting the PR. I intend to submit this on arrival.

Do you think this is a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by phani2020 View Post
    hi

since you have experience in IT SALES (B2B) I advise you to consider a job in pharmaceutical sales like G.P Representative, or medical consumables. Though these jobs are in sales and marketing, they will come under skill level 1. At present synergy consulting are the pioneers in recruiting and career councelling for this industry. So google it and talk to them.

good luck

=phani
    Thanks phani, I'll make contact with them and see what the situation is.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Ah, yes. In my haste I hadn't taken that bit in. I would tend to agree with this unless, maybe, you were at a higher management level.
    I not sure whether I could say I was higher management. But I have work at sales manager / director level reporting the CEO of companies.

I must say since arriving back in the UK I'm now tempted to follow up some opportunities here. I could 'weather the storm' and then try again when the economy picks up. In the meantime I could start my PR from here....good idea?

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hi Mark,

Good luck with the job hunt. I'm an avid reader of the job section in The Press (Chch), which is published on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Compared to last year, the number of adverts has been dismally low since last Christmas. They have dropped the stand alone section they used to print on Wednesdays and tagged a couple of pages onto the back of the equally thin Property section instead. The Saturday 'Your Career' section has been very meagre all year - much thinner than usual.

If you can manage it, my advice would be to get PR before you come. Obviously that might be easier said than done, but you wouldn't have to worry about losing your right to remain if the job situation doesn't work out.

I'm sure you will have considered this, but you might also want to think about what you tell the Immigration Officer when you arrive in NZ. It's possible that Immigration will refuse entry or limit your stay to a month (instead of 6 months for a UK passport holder) especially if you don't have a return ticket home and they think there's a chance you might not leave.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast