Thread: bringing out the parents

francis1962 is offline Member

Default bringing out the parents

Hi everyone

We are hoping to move in the next 6 months

My wifes' parents want to move out there as soon as they can

How long do we have to be residents before they can join us?

What are the restrictions on retiring to NZ? Do you need a certain amount of cash?

Francis

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Francis

You need to have held residency in NZ for 3 years before you can sponsor parents. You need to be earning in a stable and ongoing job and the minimum amount you have to match is equal to the unemployment rate. You have to show that you would be able to support your parents for their first 2 years in NZ (if you should need to, that is).

Here's a few links to read up on.

Quick check for Family (Parent) Category.
    What is required to apply.
    Steps to apply.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

brusko is offline Junior Member

Default Family Category Sponsorship

How long would it take for mother in law residence application can be approved?The reason Im asking this is because I would like to sponsor my mother in law in NZ on a visit visa and apply for her permanent residence visa under family category in October09 wherein I will be holding my NZ residence for 3 years while my wife will be holding her NZ residence in Dec09.Does NZIS makes reference to my 3 years NZ residence or my wife 3 years residence when sponsoring my mother in law.By the way my wife is the one and only child of my mother in law

Blog Entries

Hi Brusko

I suspect it would have to be your wife who would sponsor her mother because it is called 'Parent' sponsorship. They don't say anything about parents-in-law. I would mention I have read that there are very long waiting lists now (up to 2 years) for family sponsorship, so it could take quite a while.

Meanwhile, perhaps your mother-in-law may want to apply for the new multiple-entry visitorís visa for parents and grandparents of New Zealand citizens/residents as shown in here or is this what you mean when you say you're going to sponsor her for a visit visa?
    Mother Bear

Thanks Mother Bear.If I would apply for a multiple entry visa for my mother in law, how long can she stay in NZ?The last time my mother in law was in NZ on a visitor visa she was only allowed to stay for a maximum of 1 year and she needed to be out of the country for 1 year before she can come back to NZ.
    Could you please provide me the link in the NZIS website in connection to this matter.

Blog Entries

The link is in my previous post and you can find details of this visa near the bottom of the page. Visit the page to click on the FAQs link and the sponsorship form mentioned in the following item.

Multiple entry visitorís visa for parents and grandparents of New Zealand citizens/residents

If you have family members in New Zealand and you wish to visit them, you may apply for a visitorís visa under normal visitor policy to allow you to travel to New Zealand, or you may travel to New Zealand visa-free if you are a Ďvisa waiver visitorí.

However, if you are the parent or grandparent of a New Zealand citizen or resident you may like to have the flexibility of a multiple entry visa, to allow you to visit your child or grandchild several times over a three-year period. To do this, you may apply for a visitorís visa under the parent and grandparent multiple entry visitorís visa policy.

To be eligible for a visa under this policy, you must apply from outside New Zealand, and you will need to complete full medicals and meet normal character requirements (you may include your partner in the application but not your children). Your New Zealand sponsor* will need to complete the Sponsorship Form for Visiting New Zealand (INZ 1025) PDF and must guarantee to meet the cost of your maintenance, accommodation, repatriation (if necessary) and healthcare costs (if required).

If the application is approved you will be issued a three-year multiple entry visitorís visa, authorising a permit for a visit of six months from your date of arrival. You will not be able to extend the permit, however you will be able to enter and leave New Zealand during the validity of your visa, as long as you do not remain in New Zealand for more that 18 months during the validity of the visa.

Further applications under this policy:

* A further visa will not normally be issued under this policy within three years of the date that the most recent visa was issued.
    * If you have previously been issued a visa under this policy and your sponsor was not in New Zealand during the period(s) of your visit(s) to New Zealand, or if you exceeded the 18-month maximum stay on your previous visa, you will not normally be eligible for a subsequent multiple entry visitorís visa under this policy.

*Notes:

* The sponsor must be your child or grandchild aged 17 years or older, or the New Zealand parent of your child or grandchild.
    * Evidence of the family relationship(s) must be provided.
    * The sponsor may sponsor only one person or one family unit (principal applicant and their partner) at one time.

For more information, see our FAQs.
    Mother Bear

Thanks Mother Bear your the best.