Thread: Lots of questions and more to come

andim5 is offline Junior Member

Default Lots of questions and more to come

We are moving to Auckland in June (From the US) and I have many questions prior to our arrival. If anyone could direct me to the right place....

1. I have seen some information on electronics and what you need to get or do to make them work over there; however my husband is convinced that our TV would not work there. How can I find out if it is the fact? We are not set on taking it with us but would be nice as we just recently purchased it and would be a waste to leave behind.
    2. I read somewhere that “skype is banned over here”. Is that true or that is just someone’s personal house it is banned from? I know it might be silly questions but just checking!
    3. Now that we have our visa, should we apply to get our IRD number while we are in the US or should we wait? How long does it take to get it? Does my daughter (she is 2) need one?
    4. Last but not least. Can anyone tell me about “Good” banks we should look into banking with?

World First is offline Junior Member

Hi there,

1) With your TV check that it can run on a 220 to 240 volt range as everything is 110 volt in the US. Then find out if it a PAL or NTSC device. Analogue broadcasts are in PAL here, and usually NTSC in the USA. However this might all be superseded if it is digital device. (Check this with your local Radio Shack).

2) Skype is not banned here!! I use it every day! This is New Zealand not North Korea! :)

3 & 4) Probably no harm in applying for your IRD number now as the process is now taking longer as a result of more people applying due to Kiwisaver requirements. Your daughter will only require an IRD number if you want to join her up to the Kiwi saver scheme. As for the best banks, what are your requirements? - Service? Internet banking? Or will you be looking for a mortgage?? – PM me on this if you like..

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andim5 View Post
    2. I read somewhere that “skype is banned over here”. Is that true or that is just someone’s personal house it is banned from? I know it might be silly questions but just checking!
    Could it have been a post that I made? I am living in Oman and it is banned here. Perhaps you thought I was in NZ?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Skype and bank

I think MB is right! I did read it in your post that skype is banned, however I am happy to hear if it isn't. We already set our "mommas" up so that they can chat with us.

Regarding the bank, we are looking for banks that are smaller (something like credit unions here in the us if anyone is familier) and offer online banking and good account options.

Am I asking for too much????:

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

I'm probably not much help with the questions, but I'm another American here in NZ, living in Hamilton. I applied for my IRD number when i got here, and I think I had it in a week to ten days. Didn't take long and it wasn't a difficult process. I bank with Kiwibank and have been satisfied with their service, although my needs in that area haven't been great.

Be happy to answer any questions you might have about things here, from an American perspective!
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Regarding the bank, we are looking for banks that are smaller (something like credit unions here in the us if anyone is familier) and offer online banking and good account options.
    Here's a link for credit unions

I was going to suggest building societies but they appear to be almost as big as banks nowadays.

Am I asking for too much????:
    Nah
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

Default Thank you!!

Thanks for all the great advise!!
    I am already contacting the credit union suggested!!

kiwiguy is offline Member

there is also a locally owned bank called
    tsb.co.nz
    TSB Bank - Expect more aaaah and less aaaargh

the government has moved in the past months to guarantee banks and your deposits so check that the place that you are banking with is covered by that

Default Thank you!!

Thank you Kiwiguy!!!