Thread: Possiblity of being accepted into NZ

hasen is offline Junior Member

Default Possiblity of being accepted into NZ

I'm wondering if you guys can tell me my prospects of being accepted into New Zealand. I currently live in England and my job is Affiliate Marketer so its a home based business that can be run from anywhere in the world. I have enough money saved to buy a house in New Zealand outright too. I don't fit into any of the visa categories per se but there must be a possibility for me and my family to move there? So many people seem to 'retire' to New Zealand but I've no idea what kind of visa they go there on since there is no such thing as a retirement visa.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by hasen; 11-04-2009 at 09:41 AM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Hasen. Welcome.

It is very difficult to get into NZ long term if you don't thick their boxes. The nearest thing to a retirement visa is if you have a close family member with either residence (held for a minimum of 3 years) or citizenship and they could sponsor you. Other than that there is only investment or apply for a Long Term Business Visa if you want to start a business down there. The usual for the latter type of visa, is that you have previous experience in running your own company although that has proved somewhat flexible as we have a member who bought a cafe business in Dunedin without having had any previous experience, yet still managed to get in. The idea is that you employ kiwis in your new business so you would need to consider that element when making your choice.

There was some talk when John Key took over as Prime Minister that the government were considering bringing in a retirement visa. We'll have to wait and see on that one. Not sure how that will go because, apparently, the waiting list for parental sponsorship now runs at about 2 years so they may have enough applicants without bringing in the retirement visa.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

So the fact that I'd be buying property there without mortgage makes no difference? Also I forgot to mention my wife studied in New Zealand and lived there for 5 years. She's not a resident there though. We also have two close friends that are citizens of New Zealand.
    Last edited by hasen; 11-04-2009 at 09:15 PM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hasen View Post
    So the fact that I'd be buying property there without mortgage makes no difference?
    No, sorry. We have mortgage-free property in NZ but it doesn't make any difference. We'll still have to do it the hard way although having property certainly won't harm our application (which will be under family sponsorship). If and when they bring in a retirement visa, then having property will be one of the conditions needed to apply. The only thing INZ appears to be concerned about is what you have to offer the country by way of certain skills the country needs, how much money you can invest and, at the bottom of the pile, whether you have immediate family there who can sponsor you.

They certainly don't make it easy.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

There are other categories for entry and they are the ones we're considering now. Namely the entrepreneur category and the starting a business in New Zealand option.