Thread: words of wisdom needed

new start is offline Junior Member

Smile words of wisdom needed

Hi, this is my first time posting and need someone to put my mind at rest. We submitted our ITA on 5th jan 09 for residency under the skilled migrant without job offer. although slow things going ok and should be allocated a case officer in the next couple of weeks. Our 15 year son has cerebral palsy, he goes to mainstream school and walks unaided unless really tired then he uses he reluctantly uses his wheelchair. The only support he needs is for someone to help carry his bag between lessons and for someone to scribe for him when there is a long piece of writting to unable him to keep up. He needs no medication or operations and we have supplied a letter from his consultant which states his diagnosis treatment and prognosis. My concern is people have told us that nzis will not let our son have a visa, I'm hoping that someone out there with similar circumstances can put my mind at rest.

Thankyou in advance

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi,

This is a list of conditions that may cause problems with immigration applications.

Appendix 10: Medical conditions deemed to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealandís health and/or education services

HIV infection
    Hepatitis B surface antigen positive, with abnormal liver function
    Hepatitis C, RNA positive, with abnormal liver function
    Malignancies of solid organs and haematopoietic tissue, including past history of, or currently under treatment
    Exceptions are:
    a) treated minor skin malignancies (not melanoma)
    b) malignancies where the interval since treatment is such that the probability of cure is > 90%, e.g.: early stage (I & IIA) breast cancer at 5 years; low risk prostate cancer at 5 years; early stage (Dukes A & B1) colorectal cancer at 5 years; childhood leukaemia at 5 years
    Solid organ transplants, excluding corneal grafts more than 6 months old
    Chronic renal failure or progressive renal disorders
    Diseases or disorders such as osteoarthritis with a high probability of arthroplasty in the next four years
    Central Nervous System disease, including motor neurone disease, complex partial seizures, poorly controlled epilepsy, prion disease, Alzheimerís and other dementia, and including paraplegia and quadriplegia
    Cardiac disease including ischaemic heart disease, cardiomyopathy or valve disease requiring surgical and/or other procedural intervention
    Chronic obstructive respiratory disease with limited exercise tolerance and requiring oxygen
    Genetic or congenital disorders: muscular dystrophies, cystic fibrosis, thalassaemia major, sickle cell anaemia if more than one sickle crisis in 4 years, severe haemophilia, and severe primary immunodeficiencies
    Severe autoimmune disease, currently being treated with immuno-suppressants other than prednisone
    In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe (71-90 decibels) hearing loss or profound bilateral sensori-neural hearing loss
    In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe vision impairment with visual acuity of 6/36 or beyond after best possible correction, or a loss restricting the field of vision to 15-20 degrees
    In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe physical disability, where they are unable to stand and walk without support, and cannot independently dress, eat, hold a cup, or maintain their stability when sitting.

INZ are particularly worried about allowing people in who will be a burden to the health service, either now or possibly in the future if a condition is likely to deteriorate. Certainly, at the moment, your son doesn't seem to fit into this category and, if his condition is not likely to cause significant problems in time, I hope it would be OK. For some, who may be turned down because their treatment would be too costly, there is, in some cases, the chance of getting a medical waiver but, if your son's consultant is confident that all is well, it would be fingers crossed that INZ agrees with him. Sometimes they can be somewhat difficult and anal, but it depends on who is dealing with the case.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

new start is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the quick reply. I think it should be ok just getting twitchy .Fingers crossed and I will let you know what happens