Thread: IT jobs

tracy nicholson is offline Junior Member

Question IT jobs

HI all,

I was speaking to my brother this morning , and he was telling me that he has friends living in New Zealand ,and he was telling me that their buisness is doing really awful because of the global money problems.

I am getting quite worried as my husband works in IT, what is the job situation like there, and as he is thinking of going next year on a temp work visa on his own to try and find a job.

I have heard employers are not interested unless you have got PR to stay there.

Should I be wasting all of our money to even apply, if there are no jobs.

sorry to moan as I am feeling stressed .can anybody make me feel a bit more confident

Kind regards Traci

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tracy nicholson View Post
    I have heard employers are not interested unless you have got PR to stay there.
    I don't think this is entirely true. Many people only have work permits when they apply for jobs and still manage to get in. There are a few difficult individuals who don't want to employ non-kiwis because I think they feel they don't know how to deal with 'foreigners' but that's their problem. The fact that your husband has travelled to NZ looking for work shows a degree of commitment that kiwi employers will appreciate. However, I'm concerned when you say he will go there on a temp work permit. In order to apply for a work permit, he would already need to have a job offer, so it's more probable that he would have to go to NZ on a visit visa to look for work (whilst keeping it from immigration that he is there for that specific purpose).
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

There are still IT jobs, but numbers have certainly lessened in the past 12 months.

As for employers only being interested in those with PR, is not quite accurate. More often, they want to know when you will be in NZ to stay, and also most want a face-to-face interview.

One thing to be wary of, NZIS are reducing the number of temporary work permits etc due to the recession, and on the radio yesterday they were saying that expired ones would not be renewed as jobs had to go to kiwis primarily. A little worrying, but not sure if this included "skilled" migrants.

All the best,

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

tracy nicholson is offline Junior Member

Unhappy

Thankyou motherbear ,and Lou for your feedback
    I just get worried about all of the different stories i keep getting.

I feel a little bit better . My husband is beginning to wonder if they will be any IT jobs at all when he goes over next year ,and I think we are feeling down at the moment because of the money problems all over the world.
    I have also noticed we dont really talk about our plans about emmigrating even though it seems to be all i think about. My husband says it seems to be ruling our lives.

sorry to go on like this it just seems like we dont seem to be going anywhere with this.,and I just feel like throwing the towel in already.

kind regards Traci.

alphazimbo is offline Junior Member

The guys in Dow-Jones "think-tank" seem to think that the recession will be ending this year (in America anyway) so things should be looking up for everyone if they're right...

See this article here:

Financial experts see recession ending this year - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com

Hope that makes you feel a little better

trimprover is offline Member

I just took at look at IT jobs in Christchurch, and saw tons of openings:

SEEK - New Zealand's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site

My guess is that as long as lots of companies are trying to hire, it's a good sign. I know the locals will get picked first, as they should, but there should be enough IT jobs left over for the immigrants.
    US citizen applying for Permanent Residence via Skilled Migrant Category

2008-12-16 Submitted EOI
    2009-01-17 EOI successful
    2009-02-03 Received ITA
    2009-04-07 Mailed application

NZAspirant is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    I don't think this is entirely true. Many people only have work permits when they apply for jobs and still manage to get in. There are a few difficult individuals who don't want to employ non-kiwis because I think they feel they don't know how to deal with 'foreigners' but that's their problem. The fact that your husband has travelled to NZ looking for work shows a degree of commitment that kiwi employers will appreciate. However, I'm concerned when you say he will go there on a temp work permit. In order to apply for a work permit, he would already need to have a job offer, so it's more probable that he would have to go to NZ on a visit visa to look for work (whilst keeping it from immigration that he is there for that specific purpose).
    I have heard many people in the forum say that they come in on Visit Visa and find job and get a work visa / permit. If they want to go back to their home country and come back before they get their PR, what visa will they need or how will they do it? Also how to get PR from there on? Does it again go thro the EOI, ITA etc process?
    Last edited by NZAspirant; 20-04-2009 at 07:12 AM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you go to NZ on a visit visa, manage to get a valid job offer (i.e. skilled and one that a kiwi couldn't do as well as you could), you would need to apply for a work permit to allow you to work legally in the country. When you are applying for said work permit, you need to ask for a multi-entry one which allows trips out of NZ and back in again.

If you are working in a job with skills that permit you to apply for residency under the Skilled Migrant Category, you would go via the EOI, ITA, PR route. If you are applying under the Work to Residence Category, you would be granted a 30-month multi-entry work visa and, after 24 months, you may be eligible for a residence visa/permit.

You can read about it here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.