Thread: Residency stressssssssss

kiwiwannabe is offline Junior Member

Angry Residency stressssssssss

Hey all,
    I'm new to the forum. I thought I would join to vent to people who have been through this and are going through it now. We have been trying to get everything organized for spousal residency and it has been a pain!

I'm Canadian and had to apply for my criminal record check through the RCMP which is the only way to get it outside of Canada. So I made the appointment with a month long wait to get fingerprinted here then sent off the info along with my money orders for 2 checks...one for residency and the other for employment once I get my residency. I sent numerous emails to the RCMP asking if they had received my forms to no avail. I called and proceeded to get transferred around to 6 different people who all lectured me for "calling" the wrong number and asking me didn't I know that it can take up to 5 months to get it back. I explained that yes I knew this but I didn't want to wait 5 months to realize it was filled out wrong or that they never received it. I finally got transferred to a line that I could leave a msg but needless to say they never returned my call.

I finally got an email back months later informing me they had sent the 2 crim checks separately... to the correct address but in the WRONG country!!!! They had sent it to Switzerland rather than New Zealand! I had hoped it was all a typo in the email and replied back asking for clarification. They tell me they sent the employment crim check to New Zealand and the visa check to Switzerland...... and that they will reprocess it and send it back out! The process for each takes months! I'm sooo frustrated. We are running out of time and money. My partner is a kiwi but has been having a difficult time finding work and I am on a working holiday visa and can only work temp work and everytime I go to the temp agencies they tell me there is no work available right now unless I want to work in a meat packing plant.

I'm wondering if there are any other cnds out there who have received their crim checks and if there is any difference from the employment and visa checks or if I could just submit my employment check???

The timing with this is everything... we are wanting to get it done as soon as possible so we can apply for school to get our teaching certs for NZ (we both have degrees just need to top up with a year of teachers college). Plus the health check expires before the crim checks and I am waiting on another check from when I lived in Korea.

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum!!!

sorry to hear all your troubles it must be very frustrating :(

Can you go onto a website that tells you what they put into your police check from canada? I remember when I got mine for australia it said if you need it for immigration they will include all previous spent and outstanding etc convictions so pretty much everything and it was different if you needed it for different things. When you get your police check it doesnt say what you applied for, my australian and my german check both just said : no entries!

So you might get away with submitting the one you receive first for your visa application and if they are not happy with it then I m sure they will ask you to provide the right one ( which I highly doubt).
    You might find out that in the end both checks look exactly the same?

I would give it a go, your chances are pretty good!
    You can simply photocopy your police check and get it verified by a JP that way you will have one for immigration and one for employment.

Just thinking, how long have you been on a work permit here in NZ? You said you are on your working holiday visa, so I guess you have had that for less than 12months? and how long have you been with your partner for?
    If it s been less than 12months then you are going to apply for a work permit under partnership for up to 12months I assume and you dont need a police check unless the total time on a work permit in NZ exceeds 24months. So you might not need a police check at all!

Hope this helps, good luck!!
    WHV submitted 20/11/07 approved 15/01/08
    arrived in Auckland 23/03/08
    Work permit under partnership submitted 21/05/08 APPROVED 29/05/08
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10
    Residence permit under partnership submitted 06/03/09
    Immigration Officer assigned 30/04/09
    Residence Permit APPROVED 29/06/09
    Our Baby Boy is due 01/04/10 "whoopwhoop"

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Oh dear, Kiwiwannabe. What a mess ! You could have been living in the Middle East as that is how it goes here. I really would have thought better of Canada. Sorry I'm not able to give any other info other than to offer sympathy. I really hope you can get it all sorted out in time. If all else fails, perhaps contact INZ to explain all the hassle you've been put through to see if they can offer any advice.

Good luck.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Sorry just read your post again and realised you are wanting to apply for residence.

How long do you have left on your working holiday visa?
    You might have to apply for an open work permit under partnership anyway as the residence application can take up to 18months to go through.
    I have just submitted mine and got a letter saying they are really busy and it will take between 6 and 9 months to get assigned to a case manager.

Anyway since you are applying for residency I assume you have been with your partner for more than 12months and if you applied for a work permit you would apply for one up to 24months and in that case you d need your police check.
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10

kiwiwannabe is offline Junior Member

Yikes I didn't realize it would take that long! When I asked at immigration they said about 6 months and another said 14 months. I may have to apply for the work permit...can I apply for both at the same time with the same info? A work permit would probably solve a bit of the money issues as I could get a REAL job. How long does it take to get a work permit? Will I need to do a medical for that as well.... We tried to talk all this through with immigration when we first got to New Zealand...we were living for together for 2 years in Korea where we met. We never got any straight answers...it was more like what is your questions and then the answer was form #______ haha. We were quite confused and going through all the forms just made it more so.

I know what you mean, it is really confusing to know what the easiest way would be :)

Anyway I guess it depends where you apply in NZ, I have applied in Auckland and also asked about Queenstown which would be Christchurch branch and they both are the same.. takes forever! well it 'can' anyway. if you are lucky it goes through really quickly but you never know.

You can apply for both at the same time but they are seperate applications.
    So you can use the same information, just use verified copies for your work permit and you dont have to provide just as much as for your residence application.

Also for the work permit your medicals can be up to 6months old so yes you can use the same for both applications. But if you apply at the same time you should put your original medicals with your residence application, they will then put in the system that they have received it and work it out themselves....

Work permit can take up to 3months.

Sorry i m a bit stressed at work today but if you have any more questions please ask ok?

:)