Thread: My Partner Wants to Move Here, Vistors Visa, then What?

I Like Cats is offline Junior Member

Default My Partner Wants to Move Here, Vistors Visa, then What?

Hello all,

I've had a trudge through some of the older posts here and couldn't find anything really relevant to my situation sorry. I'm a tad lost >_>"

My situation is this:

I've been friends with this woman for about 2 years or so now. In the last 6 months or so we've become somewhat more then friends ^_^" At the moment I'm just looking into moving her here. I've started saving for her ticket. She's from the US, I'm in New Zealand. I'm thinking we'd get her a Vistors visa, and fly her over here for 6 months and she'd stay with me.

I'd sponsor her if needs be. I'd be happy to do that. I only make $470 a week currently, and it costs me $150 to live, roughly. So there's plenty left over from that.

But what if it all goes well, and we both want her to stay for longer then the 6 months?

What Visa or whatever should we apply for? She's only had two jobs, not really serious ones or anything from what I gather. She can't get references for them, she lost contact with the people who she worked for. She's only got like, the equivalent of 5th form school cert.

I'm worried because everything I've been reading says you have to have been in a stable relationship, living together for 12 months. But, the visitors Visa is only 6 months long.

So is there any Visa she could apply for so she could stay here longer?
    Are there any Visa's she's likely to get approved for, provided things are going well between us?

Sorry I'm kinda lost, any help would be greatly appreciated!

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

Hi i like cats !!!

welcome to the forum!! :)

no need to feel lost at all, this is quite an easy one!

If she comes over and you 2 find out u d like to be together and for her to stay here then the path to staying here is really straight forward so no need to worry!

first of all, as she s american, she can come to nz without previous application for a visa, she will get her 3months visitor visa on arrival. once she is here and staying with you, you can apply for a work permit under partnership.
    For this permit (if you are applying from outside the country u apply for a visa and on arrival it gets converted into a permit, if you are applying from within the country you apply for a permit and if you are planning to leave the country during the time of your stay, say for holidays, to go back home etc you can apply for the permit & the visa at the same time, costs twice so $280 plus $280) so for the work permit under partnership there is no set time frame of how long you have to have been living together for. Even if it s only a month, a few days etc all you have to prove to immigration is that you are living together, rental agreement, joint bank accounts, previous correspondence & things like that will come in handy to prove that you are together. If you have lived together for less than 12months then she will get her permit for up to 12months, they do this so that you have time to do the full 12months which is a requirement for residence.
    During those 12months on her work permit you have to live together and keep all information that can prove that you are a couple!

Once you have lived together for 12months she can then apply for an extension of the work permit and apply for residency at the same time.

She doesnt have to prove anything about qualifications, income etc all doesnt matter as long as you are in a serious relationship so no need to worry about all that.

I suggest she come over on her 3months tourist visa (working holiday visa should be available for americans if she is between 18 and 30 and that would allow her to work and stay in nz for 1year) and then after 1 or 2months apply for the work permit under partnership. You just have to make sure that your timing is right, as the work permit can take up to 3months to get approved and you dont want her current visa/permit to expire otherwise she ll have to leave the country. So just put some thought into that.
    Once she is on her work permit under partnership she will be allowed to work any job for any employer so unlike others she is free to work whatever she wants which is nice.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions please just ask ok? :)

Good luck for your journey!!
    Last edited by kiaora!!; 12-03-2009 at 07:38 AM.
    WHV submitted 20/11/07 approved 15/01/08
    arrived in Auckland 23/03/08
    Work permit under partnership submitted 21/05/08 APPROVED 29/05/08
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10
    Residence permit under partnership submitted 06/03/09
    Immigration Officer assigned 30/04/09
    Residence Permit APPROVED 29/06/09
    Our Baby Boy is due 01/04/10 "whoopwhoop"

I Like Cats is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much for your help! I have a few more questions now >_<

So, aside from the cost of the plane ticket for her, and a return airfare, and a passport, what else would we have to pay?

Visitors to New Zealand

That page says we'd have to have $3000 just sitting there to cover her living costs and such, for her to get the 3 month Visitors Visa.

United States of America Working Holiday Scheme

That page says that for the 12 month Work Permit, we'd have to have $4200 just sitting there to cover her living costs.

Are these savings really necessary under these circumstances? That's a lot of money! Considering we wouldn't even need that money, because I make enough to get by - and then some. I'm wondering if it would really be necessary to have that much money just laying around?

If I was her "sponsor", would we need to save that much?

What do I have to do to be a sponsor exactly, what's the criteria?

Giving me a headache >_>"

Immigration will expect her to have enough money to get by while she is in NZ, $400 per month if she is staying with you, so NZ$1200 for a 3months visit. You can fill out this form (Sponsorship Form for Visiting New Zealand (NZIS 1025) ) for her so she has something in case officers ask her on arrival about where she is staying and it always looks good if she has a sponsor in nz so they know she is looked after.

Is your girl under 30? Because if she is then the working holiday visa would definately be your best option as it will allow her to work here as well and it is cheap to get and quick, too. You can apply online and it usually goes through within a few days.

With the money they expect you to have, of course they are going to make sure that she wont run out of money while she is here and the $4200 is already expecting her to work on the side, but she has to have some security!
    Also she needs travel insurance! and if she gets the working holiday visa, because it is a 12months visa she wont have to book a return flight, only 1 way but then she needs funds to be able to get a ticket back home whenever she may need it!

So there is 3 things, $4200 funds, travel insurance, funds for a ticket back home. These are things they don't always ask for when you arrive!
    When I got here on my working holiday visa, all they asked was, why are you here? what are you planning on doing? and i just said, i m here to travel and do some work to earn some pocket money.. but no questions asked re money, insurance or return ticket! I guess this depends on the officer, the country you are from etc etc but you cant ever be 100% sure!
    So best to be on the safe side!

I know it s hard to come up with that much money, but I guess it s worth it :) and as it is all just indications I guess just try and get as close as possible to the amounts they ask for! you can use credit cards etc if you have any as well!

There is no criteria for a sponsor I dont think , have a read through the temporary entry sponsorship form , I m sure they just want to know that someone will look after her that s all.

the working holiday visa is definately the safest way because she can then after about 4-6months apply for the work permit under partnership and then go on the way I said before. You just have to remember she will always have to have a valid permit while she is in the country, having her fly back home because you calculated things wrong will cost you alot of money!
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10

Re further costs

Once she applies for work permit under partnership she might have to do medicals $450 and pay for application $280.

Then residence permit application $700( or $800) medicals again if the last ones are older than 3months $450, police check from the states ($ ? ) and once the application is approved another $300 migrant levy.

If she has to apply for an extension of her work permit under partnership it will only cost $280 if she has previously supplied medicals.

If you plan all of this right you might be lucky and end up only paying for 1x medicals!

But these are approximately costs for visas etc and it s the best and cheapest way to go