Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And the countdown begins....

paul_dickson78 is offline Junior Member

Default And the countdown begins....

I woke up this morning and got up to start my last working week in the UK. Next week I'll be getting dropped off at Heathrow to head off to Aotearoa for my new life. It's been a year since I first decided to give live ago away from the shores of the UK and it's crazy how quick that year has gone by and now I'm only a few days away. I'm fortunate that I've got an amazing girlfriend to greet me upon arrival and help me settle into life in NZ, but saying that it still feels a little unreal. I guess it won't really sink in that NZ is my home until I've been there for a few weeks and get myself a little job. I think the Meetup.com website is going to help me with me meeting new people, as well as joining a footy team and signing up to a creative writing class. If there are any other newbies in Auckland in the week starting 23rd March just drop me a line and it'll be great to say hi. Looking forward to life in NZ people....WWWWOOOOOOHHHHOOOOO :)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Exciting times, Paul. Sounds like you've got all the ingredients for a great start in NZ. Good luck with it all and I hope you find your 'little job' without any trouble. Bon Voyage!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Sloth is offline Junior Member

Cheers Paul, congratulations and enjoy the countdown!

Best of luck with your new life!!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I remember that feeling Paul. I felt like we'd been excited about getting to NZ for a few years. It seemed to us that everyone's plans were going more quickly than ours. Everyone on this forum seemed to get to NZ before we did and then suddenly.....it was our turn and it felt like it had all happened at once even though it had been years in the planning.

Good luck man. You must be looking forward to just being able to get on with your new life and it must be a great feeling to be able to be with your girlfriend again :]

Have fun
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Thank you for all your support, really is appreciated and nice to know that I'm not the first and surely won't be the last to feel the mixed excitement and trepidation of packing up and moving to the otherside of the world. So many people have said I'm brave, that they're jealous of my move and one or two think I'm barmy, but the truth is, life is just to damn short to have regrets and I know if I didn't give this a crack whilst I had the opportunity it would be the biggest regret of my life. The world is a lot smaller than it used and I think I've convinced my folks that NZ really isn't that far away, what with phone calls being so cheap now, texts and of course the internet...how did people ever do this kind of move without the internet? :)

Once again thank you and see you on the other side

TanyaJ is offline Member

Good luck Paul! Keep us updated as to how the move goes!

Default Now in Auckland

Hey there,

Well the last few days have been pretty damn awesome. Arrived in Auckland Friday morning and more or less headed straight over to Waiheke Island for the weekend. My lovely lady booked a bach right on the beach a few months ago and it was just heavenly. A great weekend to start my new life in NZ. Now getting stuck into the job hunting and trying to get settled into my new life as quickly as possible. I've had a couple of agencies express their interest and one agency interview to go to on Thursday. Thinking I might go and explore Auckland a bit today. If anyone fancies grabbing a coffee just let me know. Catch you all soon.

Cheers

Paul

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to NZ, Paul - glad to hear all is going well, must have been great to get together with your girlfriend again

Keep us updated on how you settle in

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

Hi Paul!!!

Welcome to Auckland :)

I hope you are enjoying the sun we are having this week :)

I am in Auckland as well, maybe catch up for a coffee some time?

Simone
    WHV submitted 20/11/07 approved 15/01/08
    arrived in Auckland 23/03/08
    Work permit under partnership submitted 21/05/08 APPROVED 29/05/08
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10
    Residence permit under partnership submitted 06/03/09
    Immigration Officer assigned 30/04/09
    Residence Permit APPROVED 29/06/09
    Our Baby Boy is due 01/04/10 "whoopwhoop"

ConniePrags is offline Junior Member

Reading your post is making me nervous. I am about a month behind you with my moving plans, and it feels like 2 minutes away when I leave the UK.!

Have a great trip and a great time when you get there Paul. Good luck too.

Connie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast