Thread: What options do we have?

TravelGuy is offline Junior Member

Default What options do we have?

Hi

I am born in New Zealand and my girlfriend of 8 months is from South Korea on a working Holiday Visa which expires in June. At this point in time we are not sure if we want to get married (big commitment!) . She came to New Zealand on a Tourist Visa and says she may have some time left on this (4 months?) but she would have to leave NZ and then come back again to do this. She may come back to NZ and study but would have to go back to Korea and work to save for that first. What other options do we have after June so she could stay in NZ and we can work on our relationship? We don't believe in living together before marriage

Thanks for your help

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Travel Guy. Welcome to the forum.

You could look at this as an option. However it does involve proving that you have been in a stable relationship for at least a year. Usually that involves living together for that period of time but, for this particular visa, I can't see that it actually states this. You would be rather tight for time as June would mean that you are just scraping into the 12 month period, which wouldn't allow time to apply and be granted a work visa before your girlfriend's visa expires. If she could return to NZ on a visit visa that might help things although, with the way INZ works, I wouldn't like to say how long her work permit would take to come through.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kiwiguy is offline Member

Hi you could look at work permit as a partner
    or visitor as a partner

you do not need to be married and also do not need to meet the one year requirements for these

V3.15 Partners of New Zealand citizens or residents

heres what they say
    If, the partnership has existed for less than 12 months at the time the application is assessed then the first permit granted under this policy must not exceed 12 months from date of arrival in New Zealand. Further permits may be granted upon application for up to a maximum of two years from date of arrival

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Just to point out that, as a visitor, she wouldn't be able to work.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

TravelGuy is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your advise. I am a bit confussed by some of the wording on this page V3.15 Partners of New Zealand citizens or residents . It says that you must be living together for her to get a visitor visa but thats impossible if shes coming from overseas?! seems a bit strange to me.
    So if she still has some time left on her visitor visa she could come back on that and we could get married in that time?
    Another idea we had was that she came back on a student visa to do a course, should this be on her own or sponsored by me?
    before the end of the student visa does she need to change to work visa - partnership and then we need to get married while she is on this?
    Thanks for your help