Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paramedic work permit or visa

essexbird is offline Junior Member

Default Paramedic work permit or visa

Hi Everyone.

I'am new at this so please help me. I have a sister in browns bay whos begging me to come and live there. I am a paramedic for 19yrs 2 children and single. Should i sell up and go out on a six month working visa or apply of work before i leave. She tells me i will have no problem finding work my skill. Is she right,

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Essexbird and welcome.

Medical staff is much needed in NZ so, hopefully, you should be able to find a job, especially with 19 years' experience behind you. It certainly would be helpful and would speed things up if you were able to find a job before you went down there though.

Are you only intending to go to NZ short term or would you be thinking of staying permanently? If you wanted to stay long term, you would probably find that you could apply for residency which would save you having to renew work permits.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi,

This should start the ball rolling.

St John :: International Job Enquiries

My work mate is a volunteer and finds it very rewarding on a personal level (he doesn't get paid)

St John's in Wellington are keen to recruit.

What are you waiting for?

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Hi Essexbird and welcome.

Medical staff is much needed in NZ so, hopefully, you should be able to find a job, especially with 19 years' experience behind you. It certainly would be helpful and would speed things up if you were able to find a job before you went down there though.

Are you only intending to go to NZ short term or would you be thinking of staying permanently? If you wanted to stay long term, you would probably find that you could apply for residency which would save you having to renew work permits.
    Oh no i would like to stay, My sister seems to think it would be best to come out on a 6mth work permit and then apply for residency. Have to admit that sound a bit uncertain to me what do you think.

Blog Entries

To apply for a work permit, you would first need a job. If you could find a job you may as well submit an application for permanent residency so you know, if INZ grant it, you can stay for as long as you like. To be able to take up employment before residency is granted, you can also apply for the work permit so you don't need to hang around.

If you can't find a job from outside NZ, but want to get there, you could go on a visit visa, look for work from inside the country and then apply for a permit. Just don't tell immigration that's what you intend doing. It is all a bit chancy but there's no reason why you can't do it.

Hatter, I think Essexbird is looking for paid employment but thanks for the link anyway.
    Mother Bear

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Er? Did you follow the link?

Here's another

St John :: What we do

A snippet reads -

"St John provides ambulance services for approximately 85% of New Zealand's population. Each year, 600 salaried and 2200 volunteer St John Ambulance Officers care for and save the lives of thousands of New Zealanders and visitors to the country."

St John IS the ambulance service.

Granted that 500 of the 600 Salaried employees are probably Managers but....

The fact that they are a charity doesn't mean a full time unpaid job - a strange concept.

My work mate, when on shift goes out with a full time paramedic and can administer certain drugs intravenously - within the bounds of what he is clinically qualified to do (he is continuously training).

He does not attend Salvation Army Jumble Sale's administering aspirin and the odd bandage nor is he an 'ambulance driver'. It's the real deal.

St John is an INZ accredited employer and will assist with any application either work permit or PR.

OK now that's sorted I need to got to work.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hatter5 View Post
    St John IS the ambulance service.
    That's right! Hard to believe eh? They are the only ambulance service in NZ and they depend completely on charitable donations. Crazy!

Donate to St Johns now!!!!!!!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Blog Entries

Sorry Hatter. I didn't have time to go into the link. Knowing that St. John's in the UK is a voluntary service (or at least it was when I lived there) and taking into account the below comment...
    Quote Originally Posted by hatter5 View Post
    My work mate is a volunteer and finds it very rewarding on a personal level (he doesn't get paid)
    .... I assumed that it was the same in NZ.
    Mother Bear

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Sorry Hatter. I didn't have time to go into the link. Knowing that St. John's in the UK is a voluntary service (or at least it was when I lived there) and taking into account the below comment...

.... I assumed that it was the same in NZ.
    I'am even more confused seem like the St Johns is not the way to go. Its a same i have such range of skill. Cannulation, Intubation, E.C.G and adminstering a large range of Drugs. plus the 19yrs of large range of experiencies. To be honest i really be happy deal with the public maybe Accident and Emergency Department

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I'm confused as well. Why isn't it the way to go? Accident and Emergency departments in NZ don't have an ambulance service. St Johns is the ambulance service for all hospitals. Do you mean you would rather work in and accident and emergency ward and be static at a particular hospital?
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast