Thread: Work History - can't get it.

spid5 is offline Junior Member

Default Work History - can't get it.

Hi All. I put this query into this forum 'coz I wasn't sure where it should go.

In the 1970's and early 80's I worked in the UK then emigrated to South Africa. Now I want to go to NZ, so I am gathering my work history papers. Unfortunately some of the companies I have worked for have either gone bust, or have lost my records. One of them suggested contacting Inland Revenue.

Does anybody out there have any suggestions as to who (or where) at Inland Revenue I should approach for this. Even if they could just give me a list of companies that I worked at. Job titles would be a bonus.

Any other ideas?

Happy Xmas everybody.
    Steve

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Merry Christmas, Steve. Hope it's a good one for you.

The Inland Revenue should have a record of your previous work history so it would be worth contacting them although I wouldn't like to say whether they would go back that far. If they did keep records that far back, they might be archived. I don't know if you would get anywhere on here . They have a Contact Us section as well, but it seems specifically geared to certain issues like filling in Tax Returns etc. Why don't you just ring your local tax office, tell them you're trying to track down your previous work history and see if they can point you in the right direction.

Do you have your records from SA?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks MB,

Well I have the most recent one from SA. That was in the 80's. The one before was at Ford and they pulled out 'coz of sanctions and are untraceable. Before that have acknowledged me, but it's a battle to get them to do anything.

Before that lot was the UK. I tried the online Inland Revenue web site before asking the forum. They responded with completely the wrong information (about pensions not work record). They are obviously not used to this question. So I don't know who to try next. I guess that I should call the UK tax people from SA. Can you imagine how much that will cost being put on hold while they pass my call around the whole office block!

I guess that I need an agent in the UK to do the phoning for me. I'll ask an old mate to call them.

Happy Xmas. Steve

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spid5 View Post
    Can you imagine how much that will cost being put on hold while they pass my call around the whole office block!
    Oh, indeedy! My hubby had such a phone call with our building society in the UK and went through about 12 people before he got an answer to his query.

If your work experience is as far back as the 80s, haven't you got anything more up to date that would serve the purpose or do you need to go that far back to get the extra points?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I don't think you need to worry much about the older work history. We couldn't get employer confirmation from a firm we both worked for in the early 1990s. They had probably been bought out or something. But my OH still had a minimum of 10 years of more current employment history, which was sufficient for NZIS.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

gnom is offline Member

I think a work history for the past 10 years is enough. For experience more then 10 years you don't receive more points. Good luck
    Got Job offer in November 2007
    Got 3-years work visa valid to 15.01.2011 in Jan 08
    Landed in Wellington the 16th January 2008
    Work permit for my partner submitted the 26th Jan 08
    Loged EOI the 27th January 2008
    Was selected the 31st January 2008
    Work permit/visa granted for my partner the 20th Feb 08
    Loged my PR the 28th March 2008
    PR approved 23.07.2008

Cheers
    Gnom

Hello y'all. Just got back from hols. Happy New Year.

My problem is that I have been self employed for the last 20 years and want to go back to being employed to get residence. I don't want to start my own business again - it's a lot of work and I don't have the contacts.
    I worked in labs and engineering at that time and want to return to that. I left to become a professional photographer, but there doesn't appear to be any jobs in that sector. I think it might be easier to go back to science and engineering.
    I'm not even looking for a high level job. Just one to get me in.

Thanks.
    Steve