Thread: trying to keep my girlfriend in nz

stevo is offline Junior Member

Exclamation trying to keep my girlfriend in nz

hey there. im new to this forum and need some help, tips, just watever will help really.

heres the situation. my girlfriend came over here on a visitor visa from SA. she loved it so much she went and got a job offer and tried to get a work visa.long story short, they declined it saying there were people that could do the job.

now thats what we were planning on keeping her in the country. now that didnt work. so now we have to do the partner sponsorship. we have been together for 6months. she is overstaying now. so we are going to appeal and keep er in the country for longer while we have the partnership form getting done. but the only thing is that it says you have to be together for at least 12months. what are our chances? we have evidence that we are in a stable relationship.

by the way i met her when she was over here.

any help would be great. thanks

oh and we only have like 3days to hand in everything
    Last edited by stevo; 29-11-2008 at 12:58 PM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Stevo and welcome.

What is your own visa status? Do you have residency in NZ?

I would have suggested that your girlfriend apply for a Working Holiday Visa to give you sufficient time to deal with your partnership paperwork and comply with the 12 month living together ruling but it seems that SA doesn't run such a scheme with NZ.

There used to be a scheme whereby someone with either citizenship or residency in NZ could bring in someone without the need for the 12-month rule as long as they could provide evidence of a stable and on-going relationship. The partner could get a work permit to allow them time to fulfill the 12-month rule before applying for residency. There has been a revamp of the system recently and I haven't seen this category so I don't know if it's still running. I'll keep looking.

Whatever happens, you need to communicate with INZ about your girlfriend overstaying as a matter of urgency as they really don't take kindly to this and it could affect her chances of getting any other type of visa.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hey, thanks. have you found anything yet? im stressing hard. we are going to see a politician tomorrow who had to go through the same process and hopefully he can make something happen with the immigration minister. maybe. but ill let you guys know how it goes.

oh and i was born and bred in nz. lol

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    hey, thanks. have you found anything yet?
    Sorry, I'm in the process of moving house and, therefore, a bit tied up at the moment. I don't often have access to the Net although I may appear to be logged on here almost permanently because the system isn't logging me out after 30 mins. as it should do. It looks like I'm on the forum even when my PC is shut down.

If you are a NZ citizen, this is the category I was thinking of. It doesn't so much rely on you having lived together for 12 months, but it still requires that you have been in the relationship for that length of time, so could be tricky if you can't prove you have.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hmmm. yeah so we have got our local mp helping out and in turn are going to get the minister of immigration and associate minister helping us. but we are trying to get them to wait until the new year before the politicans can do anything. so if thats the case it will be better and we would have been together for 7months. the ministers are going to be doing stuff on her work permit. but i was going to see if we are able to get an open work permit just like the one that you get when on a partner sponsorship. and i dont think you need to be together for 12 months before you can do the partner sponsorship. if my understanding is right, if you have been living together(the longer the better) and are in a committed relationship then they will give you an open work permit and then they will look at the relationship when the 12months comes around. but im going to ring them again tomorrow. i have asked them so many times and they tell me that same answer but people keep telling me they wont even allow it. so its annoying to be getting 2 different answers.

anyway im off the sleep. thanks for everything and hoping to hear from you soon as, thanks

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

hey stevo!!

this is quite an easy case, all you have to do is apply for an open work permit under partnership.
    You dont need to get much together, just the form for her to fill in, you have to fill in a sponsorship form, she ll need a medical, chest x ray and full blood screen, some info on your relationship, basically all you need is to proof that you are right now living together, mail to the same address, rental agreement, whatever you have but they dont want much at all!
    that permit will give her 12months, within those 12months she will have to apply for residency!

The only problem is that she is an overstayer, so you either appeal or she goes back home and applies from there. just make sure they dont send her home as that will get her a ban from nz for a while! but if she leaves voluntarily then there is no ban at all...

Make sure you do the right thing, sometimes it s better for her to go back home and do it all the right way rather than getting in trouble.

Good luck!
    WHV submitted 20/11/07 approved 15/01/08
    arrived in Auckland 23/03/08
    Work permit under partnership submitted 21/05/08 APPROVED 29/05/08
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10
    Residence permit under partnership submitted 06/03/09
    Immigration Officer assigned 30/04/09
    Residence Permit APPROVED 29/06/09
    Our Baby Boy is due 01/04/10 "whoopwhoop"