Thread: Taxation

Bifter is offline Junior Member

Default Taxation

Morning poeple. We are moving to New Zealand in 3 weeks... very exciting! Just a quick tax question (boring I know!) but I have been unable to find out the answer. I have a job in New Zealand (contractor therefore self employed) and will have an income in the UK from renting a property and also a small income from some web stuff - does anyone know how it works when you have an income from both countries. (We have residents visa's in NZ and do not intend to return to the UK but obviously have UK passports etc...)
    Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a boring topic for some.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

I'm not an accountant, but I believe you can claim a tax exemption in NZ on your UK income for 48 months after you arrive in NZ. You don't have to, but you can.

If you do, you will probably have to pay tax on your UK income in the UK and you would not be entitled for NZ tax credits. Old Gordon won't let you get away with much, trust me. ;)

It's worth claiming the exemption if you earn a decent amount in the UK because you would probably be over the NZ tax credit threshold, so not entitled to any extra here.

You will have to pay tax in NZ on any income earned in NZ.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I hope you can find something which will help answer your questions on here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.