Thread: Hello...opinions wanted on 'best approach' type question!

markh is offline Junior Member

Default Hello...opinions wanted on 'best approach' type question!

Hi All, Iím new to the forum but have been navigating the maze of planning our move to NZ for some time. We (wife and baby) were hoping to move out to Auckland in June 09 but weíre still deciding the best option for visa/permit. So with about 6 months before we leave I am wondering if this is enough time to sort a PR out (I have all my paperwork, 125 points and no job offer)? Or should I just go on a visitors visa and start the process from NZ (find job Ė apply for work permit - then PR)? I want to apply from home and get everything sorted beforehand but we are committed to leaving in June and I donít want to complicate the process by leaving for NZ before the PR is completed. The immigration NZ website indicates it could be up to 10 months (London Office) but from reading these forums it seems that it can be done quicker? Does anyone have any advice other than trying to get a job offer to speed up the process?

Thanks for any advice you can share!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.

How long it takes to get PR is, unfortunately, equivalent to 'how long is a piece of string'. Precedence is given to those with 140 points and over and those who have a job offer so, I guess, it depends how many of those are kicking around when your application goes in. If you did get your PR within 6 months you wouldn't be the first, but it's one of those things you won't know until it happens so forward planning is very difficult. Having all your relevant paperwork ready and in order is a good start and keeping fingers crossed for smooth sailing through the medicals will help. Other than that, there's not much else you can do to hurry things up.

Failing PR, the alternative is to enter NZ on a visit visa and look for work, although this isn't looked upon kindly by immigration as visit visas are for visiting the country and not job-hunting. I don't know why they make it so difficult when hundreds, if not thousands, of people do it this way.

Quicker than applying directly for PR and more INZ-friendly than using a visit visa is to get a Work to Residence visa if you can satisfy the rules, but that entails having a job offer with a specified minimum salary. This type of visa usually means you have to work for 2 years before applying for PR but, if you have sufficient points to bang in your PR application beforehand, I believe you can cut this process short.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Ali Rizwan is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.

How long it takes to get PR is, unfortunately, equivalent to 'how long is a piece of string'. Precedence is given to those with 140 points and over and those who have a job offer so, I guess, it depends how many of those are kicking around when your application goes in. If you did get your PR within 6 months you wouldn't be the first, but it's one of those things you won't know until it happens so forward planning is very difficult. Having all your relevant paperwork ready and in order is a good start and keeping fingers crossed for smooth sailing through the medicals will help. Other than that, there's not much else you can do to hurry things up.

Failing PR, the alternative is to enter NZ on a visit visa and look for work, although this isn't looked upon kindly by immigration as visit visas are for visiting the country and not job-hunting. I don't know why they make it so difficult when hundreds, if not thousands, of people do it this way.

Quicker than applying directly for PR and more INZ-friendly than using a visit visa is to get a Work to Residence visa if you can satisfy the rules, but that entails having a job offer with a specified minimum salary. This type of visa usually means you have to work for 2 years before applying for PR but, if you have sufficient points to bang in your PR application beforehand, I believe you can cut this process short.

Hi Mother Bear, thanks for sharing this. Yeah Iím finding it hard to plan ahead when itís difficult to determine the actual timeframes Ė I just wish I got my eoi in 6 months ago, but thatís life! The tough thing is that if I apply now and I havenít got a decision before June Iíd be tempted to go on a visitor visa and continue the process in NZ but I understand that in itself causes complications and INZ could always deny me at the border (since they will know Iím applying for a PR). I think that I have to be a bit patient, re-arrange moving plans and just wait for a decision on the PR since this is the ultimate objective. Of-cause after submitting the PR, I can try to get a job offer which will speed things up but I know itís much harder to get an offer when one is abroad. Thanks again for your advice.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Mark mate, none of this is rocket science. You got more than enough points but no job offer. You had alredy planned to get yourselves over here in June. So what's stopping you? The Kiwis aren't suspicious about VV's or the people that are on them. We were actually recommended to do it that way by an advisor at NZ house in London whilst we were still in the UK. It was plain to her that we would both be very employable in NZ we just didn't have the numbers on paper (but it turned out we did anyway). She told us to go over and put ourselves forward for employment.

The kiwis love gutsy people. They love people that are prepared to take a risk. People that aren't too seemingly attached to their perceptions of what or how life should be. If you show that you have spirit and determination, an open mind, tolerance and creativity most kiwi employers will give you a go. The fact that we had just upped and left the UK without any plan in place was a big turn on for the guys here. They saw that as our committment to making it work here, because of that, they believed in us and trusted us to come good.

We've been here just over a year. Came out on VV's with not a clue of where we were going or what we were going to do. We just knew we'd do what ever felt right, wherever it felt right, if it felt right. Gary had to go back to doing a job he gave up 8 years ago and swore he'd never do again BUT it was a means to an end, that was all, and now with residency through he's free to choose whatever he wants to do. And he's having fun. Looking at all the different things and choosing a new path, one that suits him here and now, they are completely different to the jobs he would or could have considered applying for in UK. Here, you aren't your qualifications, you aren't your job. If you can match some of your skills to some of their skills and you believe you can learn the rest, they'll give you a go. Everybody has to multi-task here because they don't pigeon hole jobs. In UK they have 20 people doing what 1 person could do, here they have 1 person doing all that they can do. Simple. They don't complicate things.

I'm about to open a new community arts and dance studio in the centre of the city and I have the support of all the local organisations and the City Council. Everybody is supportive of a new idea, a new concept and a new horizon.

This is in a year and a bit man!!

Even when we ask questions I believe we already know what the answer is, the answer we know for ourselves. Other people's perspectives are always interesting and it's good to hear about other people's experiences. BUT they are OTHER people's experiences and theirs and yours cannot possibly be the same. Do what you feel is the right thing to do for you but don't let other people hold you back. Their insecurities aren't yours, their worries and 'what if's' aren't yours, their 'err on the side of caution' attitude, isn't yours, their sensible and well-thought out approaches aren't yours. It doesn't mean they're wrong, it means they're not yours. Trust yourself, take responsibility and action and have the life you choose to have without giving the responsibility to anyone else. Listen to your inner voice, trust your intution, notice the signs, trust that life only wants the best for you, believe and feel that it's already taking you along your chosen path and that you can see the outcome.

Trust yourself and live your dream, wherever it takes you

NB Please note that all of this is merely also my philosophy and experience and not yours and is of course, no more important than anyone elses Please feel free to discard it all at will - most people do (Cept me of course )
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Hi Dawn, wow...what a post! Thanks for taking the time to share your story!

You are right, there is little stopping us arriving on vistors visa and taking it from there.....a huge adventure and willingness to Ďmake it happení is the spirit of life that wins over all Ė exciting stuff

For us, learning about others experiences really helps us estimate what the best plan would be for us, by sharing your story I certainly have renewed confidence is coming over and having a go!

Cheers, Mark

Maritoni is offline Junior Member

Wow Dawn, you can really put back the fire to a somewhat flickering light!

I think i just needed that. I really intend to visit NZ in January 2009 and try and get a job offer while there, and if lucky enough, work out my work permit and eventually PR. But because of the recent world wide(?) economic recession, I have somehow deferred my plans. You know, people are saying there are lay-offs most everywhere, and maybe opportunities for non-Kiwis might not be so bright, etc. But what you just said is enough to raise my spirits again and give me that much needed push again.

Will gather my papers for the visit visa for early next year. Thanks.

Maritoni