Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to NZ soon...

samwalker is offline Junior Member

Default Going to NZ soon...

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. :)
    Hope I'm welcome. :)
    My dad's in NZ and is currently processing our papers for resident visa. My mom, my two sisters and I are in the Philippines. When my dad comes back to the Philippines April of 2009, he says he would take me with him back to NZ. Could someone tell me how I could get my girlfriend who is also in the Philippines? Is the processing long and tedious? I'm 21 and I just graduated from college March this year while my girlfriend's 19 and is on her 3rd year in college. Should I ask her to finish her college til 4th year here or just stop schooling and continue her studies in New Zealand and work at the same time to pay for her tuition?
    Looking forward to finding answers to my questions... :)
    Thanks in advance. :)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Sam and welcome. Glad to have you with us. Is your dad sponsoring you under the Family Category?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi MotherBear! :)
    Wow! Thanks for the warmest welcome with the coolest animation! :) hehe
    Under the family category? Yikes. No, idea. I'll send him a text message after posting this. Anyway, what happens if I'm sponsored under the family category? What if not?
    Again, thanks for responding. :)

MotherBear, I researched on the Refugee Family Support Category and I don't think my dad is eligible to be a tier one sponsor under this category. He left the Philippines last week of January 2008 and is not a NZ citizen. Not sure if he's a holder of a current residence permit but I guess not. My mom, two sister and I just had our medical checkup last week and forms and other papers have not yet been submitted or sent back to my dad.

bwicki is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by samwalker View Post
    MotherBear, I researched on the Refugee Family Support Category and I don't think my dad is eligible to be a tier one sponsor under this category. He left the Philippines last week of January 2008 and is not a NZ citizen. Not sure if he's a holder of a current residence permit but I guess not. My mom, two sister and I just had our medical checkup last week and forms and other papers have not yet been submitted or sent back to my dad.
    what was your dad's visa when he left the country?Is he employed in nz?

Blog Entries

I think the only way your dad could sponsor you or get you into the country would be if he has held NZ residency for 3 years. The only other way would be if he has a work permit and could prove you were a dependent child. Your mum should be OK as she is his spouse but, again, it would depend on whether your sister is still dependent on him whether she could get in.

This tells you about the various Family Categories. And this tells you about dependent children. Take a look to see if you qualify or use the quick check which is easier to understand. However, these are all tied up with holding residency so probably won't be any use to you if your dad doesn't have it.

I'm trying to hunt down the rules for taking family in under a temporary work permit, which is probably what your dad is holding. INZ have recently revamped their site so things have shifted about a bit. If you are a dependent child, you and your sister could apply for a Student's Permit and your mum could apply for a work visa for the same length as your dad's although that wouldn't mean that she has to work.
    Mother Bear

rasin is offline Member

hi,
    My hubby is holding a 1yr work visa. We'll have to enter NZ using visitor visa first (with proof of purchase of return air tickets within visa dates), and then apply at NZ.
    This is because the spouses had to be together present before a 'Justise of peace' to sign a partner form (or something like dat).
    Another way is to get my husband to fly back and we apply from our own country (which might be cheaper). But then he'll have to fly back NZ to work while waiting for our visas to approve. And made another trip to fetch the kids (they're very young) and me after they're approved.
    And the visa granted will only be same length as husband's work visa.
    The above procedures are told to us by husband's coy HR.
    For kids above 18yr old I'm not very sure could they still be classified as 'dependent' though.
    Arrived NZ on 15th Dec'08
    Obtained Partnership Work Permit on Mar'09
    EOI submitted on 14Jul'09 (NZ Wellington Central branch)
    ITA received on 10Sep'09
    ITA submitted on 24Nov'09
    PR received on 26Mar'10

To bwicki:
    I don't know what his visa was when he left Philippines. But I suppose it was a permanent job contract.

To MotherBear:
    Yeah, he has, I think, a permanent work permit and has proven that I'm his dependent child. I remember that.
    Thank you for the additional links. I have been visiting that site (but not the exact links you sent) since yesterday. :)
    Wow! Thank you for all these information. Much appreciated, MotherBear. :)

Just in case I go with my dad back to NZ summer of 2009, is there anyway I could sponsor my girlfriend? How could she apply for NZ? Or which type of application should she get?
    Last edited by samwalker; 22-11-2008 at 06:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samwalker View Post
    Just in case I go with my dad back to NZ summer of 2009, is there anyway I could sponsor my girlfriend? How could she apply for NZ? Or which type of application should she get?
    This is a difficult one because a) your girlfriend isn't a member of your family and, therefore, would not be eligible to apply that way and b) she may not have job skills that will allow her to apply for her own visa. She could maybe apply for a Student Visa if she is still a student, but I think that may be an expensive route to get into NZ.

The main ways to get into NZ are if you have certain job skills that the country needs or you have close family there who can sponsor you.
    Mother Bear

Ali Rizwan is offline Junior Member

Smile Opportunity

HY,
    my name is Ali , ijust join this forum
    i m planning to move in New Zealand
    can any one tell me what are opportunities in New Zealand
    i mean job or business

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast