Thread: Mother looking to relocate family of 4 to NZ

Lehvin is offline Junior Member

Talking Mother looking to relocate family of 4 to NZ

My self and my husband unhappy with our current state of living are looking to have a more sustainable lifestyle and wish to do this in NZ. We live in US at the moment and hope that in 5 yrs we will be if not in NZ then another similar area. Any one have any suggestions where to start? I've been doing some basic research as a perlimanary step but what next? and how have your expereiences been, pleasent? Your time and input would be greatly appreciated!!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Lehvin and welcome to MTNZ.

To start at the beginning, we need to find out a bit about your circumstances, especially about any job skills either of you may have. This is important because Immigration NZ tends to select only those people who have certain job skills that the country needs.

Perhaps you could read through this review of the immigration skill shortage lists. You could also read through this previous thread which explains about the points system that is used.

Perhaps, once you've read through these, you would like to ask some more definite questions so we can point you in the right direction.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default done some research

didn't see much in the skills that directly reflect us but her are our skills: I have 3 yrs of resturant/hospitality along with 3 yrs of culinary schooling( trade school). Right now I'm just a mom but when my youngest starts school I want to go to university for agriculturel studies/ sceinces as well as enviromental studies. Knowledge is power and every little bit helps.
    I also worked two years as a phamacy technichan, althought I was taught on site, I have no degrees for this.
    My husband has been in the seafood production bussiness for over 8 yrs he is now the night shift supervisor and has been in management for 3 yrs. In the next year he will be starting an I T course via- internet acess( do they count those certificates and degrees) he is very knowledgeable in the computer area and has been interested in this for many years.
    We also are very passionate about living a more sustainable lifestyle- implementing solar energy, wind energy, rainwater harvesting and other practices is top priority in our future, regaurdless of where we live.

Also I checked a few sites both immigration and consulting sites and have seen a few variations on the question and point system, one we would quailify, another almost nothing directly pertained to us. Are you aware of any sites that are accurate??

I hope this helps
    Last edited by Lehvin; 21-09-2008 at 10:32 AM.

kiwiguy is offline Member

I have some people staying with me right now
    she came on a visitors visa and got a job it is very low payed as a caregiver then she went back home packed up and came back

in the mean time her husband applied as her partner and he now has a work permit no points etc needed and he can work in any job the strange thing is she can only work in the job that she has the visa for and the job is not that great and she is not getting full time hours.

it took them about 2 months to make the move including the looking for a job part so I guess the trick was to get a job offer for one of the people

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiguy View Post
    .....the strange thing is she can only work in the job that she has the visa for ....
    Yes, if it's a work permit, you can only work for the company that is named on the visa and in the job that you got it for. If your visitor can find a better job in the same line, she could always apply for a Variation of Conditions on her work permit.

Lehvin, you could always look on the ANZSCO site and type in the job title. If your husband works in management, he may be able to squeeze in that way. He could apply under the new Essential Skills category, but he would need a job offer first.

There are various types of visa to apply for, but they all need a degree of skills that NZ needs if you want to progress on to residency. IT is very much in demand but your husband would need quite a few years job experience behind him or a recognised qualification. I know INZ didn't accept the IT industry certificates and qualifications previously, but I've heard that they may do now. I just can't find where it states this so at the moment.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Consultants???

It's starting to sound like useing a consultant might not be a bad idea. I've been reading they're quite expensive and there are imposters posing as companies taking your money and running, How true is all this? Is it possible to find an affordable one who is also reliable? WE are a working class family no extravagence here, just trying to find a better life, a better way to live.
    Last edited by Lehvin; 22-09-2008 at 03:32 AM.