Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbeque Party in Chch???

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Barbeque Party in Chch???

During my visit to NZ, I'm planning to hop down to Christchurch during the first week of October. I've focused on visiting Nicky, but want to meet some of you other folks. Because Nicky will be settling in at that time, I didn't want to put contacting and planning on her.

I have only ideas at this time, but am thinking of getting lodging at a holiday park, so I could take advantage of a barbeque pit and have a play area for children (and adults ). I'm not much into cooking, but have learned a bit about barbequeing from my missus, so could tend the grill if need be. What do Kiwis call potlucks other than "bring a dish"? Whatever it is, that would be the plan. It seems like Saturday, October 4 would be optimal.

There has been so much movement to Chch, that I can't think of everyone . But Koko, Jon & Lou - I would love to meet you! Who else is up for a party?

Oh, and I'm flying out Sept 15, so should be firming things up this week.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by selchie View Post
    What do kiwis call potlucks other than "bring a dish"?
    I think it's bring a plate Selch. Putting something on it helps

There have been a lot of folksies off to Cch eh? What is the pull down there I wonder?
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hey, we'd be up for it. Saturday pm or anytime Sunday suits us. Order the good weather now and it should be fine. There are bbq stations at a lot of domains here. I would go for somewhere like Halswell Quarry, The Groynes, Bottle Lake Park. We've also got a soopadoopahiphopadazzla portable gas bbq that we could bring if needed.

Blog Entries

A domain might work quite well. I'll trust a local's assessment of their merits. I was hoping for a holiday park near/on the water, but saw none in the AA guide. I'm a charcoal BBQ kinda gal, so I'm not sure I could handle a SDHHD gas grill. It sounds like you might have volunteered yourself, Koko

I'll put in a reservation for good weather. I suppose October is risky weatherwise.

I'm also willing to bring things over from the states. I'll have more baggage allowance than I'll probably need. I'll already be be shopping for chocolates and sunblock this coming week. (WG, check your PMs for requests for details, or you'll have to make do with what I choose)
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Will be great to meet you all then - a good intro for us. We will bring what we can but it may be limited as we would only have been in NZ 2 weeks then. Just let us know when & where!!
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Blog Entries

Default Chch lodging

Now I've been looking at lodging options, and noticed some comments in threads about bad neighborhoods (e.g. Richmond, coastal areas). Any opinions on Woolston & Riccarton? I've seen some moderately-priced possibilities in these areas.

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Definately put Jon, me and the kids down ... it's in my diary now!! Would prefer the afternoon, but we're free all day if needbe.

We met up with some folks on Saturday afternoon, and Spencer Park was mentioned as a good place for picnic / place park etc .. and I think they had those barbqs ready for use?

Not so sure on the good areas - but I'm sure someone who's been here a little longer will be better able to advise.

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Blog Entries

Huzzah! It's starting to sound like a bash! I'll defer to the locals on choice of venue. I think Saturday afternoon would be nice.

I found a thread from a while back that referred to some good sausages in a Riccarton market. If folks like, I can get some of those, along with chicken, hamburger or whatever. I might even be able to get Karin to let me have her recipe for rack of lamb marinade. I'll gladly spring for a big chunk of the meat costs, considering I might only have a small kitchen in which to make a side dish. If there are any vegetarians who have meat substitute suggestions, just holler. I don't know if Kiwis have a version of Garden Burgers.

Blog Entries

Default Decision Time

OK, so I'm getting closer to flying over, and am not sure if I'll be accessing the internet while I'm in NZ. Shall we work out the wheres and whens?

Koko suggested three domains - pick one, any one at all. Koko, when you said Saturday PM (Oct 4), did you mean evening or all of the post meridian? If you meant evening, shall we make the party Sunday afternoon (Oct 5), then?

I'll be in contact with Nicky after I arrive in Chch (Oct 1, evening), so if plans still need to be firmed up after I drop off the radar, we can work it out in the days beforehand. When I decide on my lodging, I'll post here, so folks can track me down directly.

No one has stated a meat (or non-meat) preference, so you may have to suffer with what I bring. Remember: bring a plate! Beverages would also be useful. If there's a ban on beer & wine in the domains, please let us know, Koko.

Anyone else out in Chch who hasn't spoken up? The info will (hopefully) all be posted here, so you can drop in at the spur of the moment if you wish.

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

C'mon then guys ... guess it's decision time? Shout if you're not happy with the following;

Saturday 4th October ... 11.30am, aim to fire up the BBQ about 12.30 noon?
    At The Groynes?

Now ... I've only been to the dog park section, so not sure where the bbqs are, or a suitable meeting spot.

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast