Thread: Looking for a job on a holiday visa?

rob&vicky is offline Junior Member

Default Looking for a job on a holiday visa?

Please can anyone help with our situation?

My wife and I are looking to move out to Christchurch in Sept 09 - We do not currently have jobs that are on the skills lists. My wife is 28 so can go out on a working hol visa but I am 31 so at the moment would only be able to go out on a 6 month hol visa. We are both in office jobs and have been so for quite a few years and all our skills/qualifications are within these jobs.We are attending a NZ expo here next month and will start to apply for jobs but we were wondering - although you are not supposed to, how easy it is to appply for jobs and then get temp work visas hopefully leading to work to residence ones?

Cheers if anyone can help.

Duke is offline Senior Member

Finding a job in NZ is not the easiest to do, but possible...having either a skill/ qualification in a job on the shortage lists makes it a no brainer to apply. We met a couple from Germany on our visit to NZ and they had bought a campervan and traveled around the islands by picking fruit, they had no qualification/skills, but I dont think they were trying to move to NZ. I would think if you have the talent to get a job offer and were able to excel on the job, you could get your WTR and do the process in NZ. Alot can be done in a year from now so good luck too you both on finding work.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Rob and Vicky, .

Many people travel to NZ on a visit visa to look for work, although it's best not to let immigration in on this as you enter the country. Applying from outside the country can be difficult, as Duke says, unless you are in certain occupations. With office work, it would depend largely on what level you work at as to whether your job skills would be needed and accepted by INZ for granting of a work visa. It's usually managerial level that pushes the right buttons, as any positions below that can usually be filled by kiwis. INZ looks to import only talent that the country needs, rather than that which can be found already amongst the existing population.

If you do have the right skills, it shouldn't be difficult to apply for a Work Permit or a Work To Residence visa although there are other criteria you would need to meet.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

We did it Rob Never say never mate. Believe in yourself and what you have to offer. Think outside of the box, don't let people tell you things can't be done. Make up your mind it's going to be the way you want it, visualise it all coming through for you and then go about acting on it. This is your life, decide how you want it to be and make it happen.

Trust yourself, trust your intuition. If it feels right do it and it WILL be right. Most importantly pay no mind to any Doubting Thomas's that fill YOU with doubt and can't say anything helpful. They are merely reflecting your own fears and anxieties. Recognise this for what it is, your physical ego trying to hold you back from spiritual growth. Listen to it, deal with it, and move past it. But remember, once you're committed you have to see it through and it's no one's responsibility but your own. No one holds you back but you and no one triumphs but you.

There ends todays 'inner spiritual energy' sermon from the unwashed, unshaven, hippie guru herself.

Cor, I haven't done one of them in a while.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi there
    We also came over as tourists,to Chch at end of january

My hubby is a solid plasterer at trade,but is doing Aluminuim joinery here
    I was a stay at home mum for yrs and now have 2 jobs
    Actually i had 3 interviews and got the 3 jobs,but one of them is waiting on my police checks coming back(which they payed for),and arranging me clients
    One of the jobs im doing is support worker ,and im getting certificates,which helps towards us applying for perm residence later on.

So i will have to decide which 2 jobs i want
    So i can definetly vouch,theres plenty of jobs in NZ
    Just depends how much income your looking for, and what sort of life you live
    We are far from well off,but we are comfortable and just love the lifestyle
    So id say
    GO FOR IT
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009

rob&vicky is offline Junior Member

Cheers to everyone that replied - we are going to make the the move anyway, just wanted to hear of anyone that had been or is in a similar position and how they got on...

p.s. good sermon!!!

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi guys,

Another one to add to the list, we came out on WHV and had no problems getting temp and contract jobs then went for PR and got that as well based on the jobs.

Good luck!