Thread: Buying a camper to live and travel in NZ?

twowheelboy is offline Junior Member

Default Buying a camper to live and travel in NZ?

Hi all,

I was considering buying a small campervan when I get to NZ to combine transport with somewhere to live, along side short stays in hotels and digs etc. I will be travelling alone so only need to look after myself.

I have a Visa and am keeping an open mind, so will consider living there permenately if I settle and feel Love for the place. I love the outdoors so that can't hurt!

The idea is to travel around and get to know the country so I have a better idea of where to base myself longer term. The plan is to travel around and work as and when I feel the need as I have a trade which gives me lots of flexibility.

I will probably be arriving sometime in March 09, hopefully the weather there will be nice.

So..... just wanted to throw that out to see what yawl think.

Good idea? Bad idea?........ Any advice?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a plan to me, especially if you don't yet know where you want to settle and need to travel around. March is towards the end of the NZ summer so the weather should still be pretty good. As you're on your own, you'll be as free as a bird .

Only one problem I can think of might be if you need a permanent address for any reason, but I guess you can overcome that. If you have a mobile phone, it should help a lot with communication.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks MotherBear,

I can't see why I'd need a permanent address but will look into that one.

I'm considering taking my laptop too to use in WiFi hotspots to keep in touch with the UK, or even scan for free networks while I'm parked up in my camper! I can chat to friends on Messenger at my leisure then! Internet cafes are okay but you always seemed rushed for time.

I'll get myself a pay as you go phone too which will help with work, new friends or emergencies ...........

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

You'd need an address to be able to register the vehicle in your name. It's a requirement on the registration form that you have a physical address.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

loopylu is offline Member

Think you might also need a physical address to obtain an IRD number if you are intending on working (simply so that they can send the number out to you somewhere once you have sent off the forms and they have been processed). Oh also you will need one if you are wanting to set up a bank account (if people will be paying you through this while you are still travelling).
    Arrived in New Zealand on WHV on 5th Feb '08.

Facebook ID: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=704762406

Thanks for the advice guys.........