Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is New Zealand much more expensive then the US?

Thronsen is offline Junior Member

Default Is New Zealand much more expensive then the US?

Hi there-

Im moving to New Zealand in a couple months, and I was trying to get a handle on what I should bring with me, as opposed to buying there. My company is paying 70% of the shipping, so that is not a huge cost. Im trying to decide what to pack up and bring, and what I should plan on buying when I get to Wellington.

Any general thoughts on things that are dramatically more expensive would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone has any idea the approximate cost in NZ of the following, here are the things we are on the fence about:

Television (50" Plasma)

LCD computer monitors (26" and 28")

Furniture (teak bookcase, Ikea quality coaches, queen sized mattress)

Computer Equipment (I know its a broad category, but basically should I buy and bring a new high end home PC that can last me 3 years, or just pack up my old one and upgrade in NZ as needed).

Books (I know in some countries like Singapore books can be multiples of the price in the US. Is that the case in NZ, such that I should bring a box of books to last me for a while).

Mountain Bike and Road Bike (both mid range)

Any other electronic gear like DSLRs or DVD/Blu ray players that when you see them for sale in NZ you're like ouch.

We also have a 14 month baby boy, and we just planned on buying everything there, but are there specific things that seem to cost alot more in New Zealand?

Any ballpark guesstimates for any of the above would be very helpful.

Thanks alot.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome.

We are in Wellington and have been here just over 4 months.

We are from the Uk so can't compare the prices for you but take a look on here for electrical stuff- it will give you a good idea but of course there are other stores.

Hope that helps for starters.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Thronsen

We are 220 power so leave anything electrical but computer stuff in the USA. Look to see if it has universal power (120 - 220). Your TV won't work and they aren't cheap here. NTSC vs PAL.

Washer/dryer leave it and pick up one here.

Normally you move in a container and there aren't any weight restrictions and normally lots of room so bring everything else on that is not electrical. You can always dump it here if you don't need or want it.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default Beg to differ ...

Bring everything you can. Anything you sell or store or dispose of in the US will likely be much more expensive in NZ.

Books--bring as many as you can. A paperback that sells in the US for $7 or $8 will set you back three times as much in NZ, and anything not in paperback comes in trade book format for $30 and up. Check the Ferrit and Whitcoul's sites for book prices.

Electronics--buy yourself a couple of step-up transformers and you'll be fine. I ran my DVD and stereo off them, as well as some kitchen items. They'll set you back about $40 each in the US and about 3 to 5 times that much in NZ--if you can even find them. (You can find a couple of good articles about how they work if you use teh great Gazoogle. )

As for the TV, though there is the whole PAL vs. NTSC thing, my understanding is that since you'll be using a digital satellite box for SKY TV, you will be fine. I was foolish and thought they wouldn't work, but when I got to NZ I heard that they did. My US-bought NTSC DVD's and such worked fine with my NZ multi-region DVD player hooked up to the NZ TV I bought (which had a dual PAL-NTSC tuner, mind you) and my NZ-bought PAL DVD's worked fine in the portable US-bought DVD player with LCD screen. They've also worked fine here in the States when fed through the DVD player to my new US-bought TV. Confused yet?

The point is, I don't think any of it matters when you're not pulling the signal out of the air with an antenna.

As for the kid, I'd recommend hitting Target and stocking up on kid's clothing. Clothing is very, very costly in NZ, and you won't find any $3 shirts and pants or $7 shoes in NZ ... and what clothing you will find will be nowhere near the quality you'll find in the US. To use an example from the adult clothing world, Levi's jeans will set you back about $100NZ per pair--but to add insult to injury, they are nothing like the Levi's you find at JC Penny or Kohl's. Instead, they are made of light-weight denim like you would find on a pair of Wranglers at Wal-Mart.

The bottom line on NZ shopping versus US shopping is this: pretty much anything you find at a 'discount' retailer (The Warehouse, Dick Smith's, etc.) is going to be about the quality you would find at a place like Odd Lots or the worst of Wal-Mart's merchandise. But you'll pay more (1.5 to 3 times as much) than you'd pay in the US. Farmers, a more expensive retailer, carries clothes like you'd find at Wal-Mart, Target, or the store-brands at Penny or Kohls, but you pay Macy's prices for them. (Again, adding insult to injury--you'll consider yourself lucky when you find your size.)

As for computer technology--well, it can be had from direct retailers like Dell, but you'll pay dearly for it when you can get it. Most of the top of the line, cutting edge stuff is not available at all in NZ. I tried to hunt down a tablet PC for myself, for instance, and no one was selling them in NZ about a year ago.

Mountain bikes I found to be comparable when you can get them on sale. I was in Chch where there is one bike shop for every 2.5 residents, so I found a sweet deal on a bike. Not sure about the rest of the country, though. You're probably better off grabbing one of the end-of-season deals you can get at this time of year and leaving it in its box.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Another thing to consider in the 'do we bring, don't we bring' debate is whether you would be able to get parts for any electrical/mechanical items in NZ, if they break down. On newer items, you would probably find that warranties and guarantees would be invalid once you took them out of the country.

If you have free space in your container though, and your appliances are still in good working order, it would be worth bringing them and just running them into the ground before starting again with NZ-bought stuff. At least it would mean that you wouldn't have to fork out immediately on a whole lot of new items in one go.

We're dumping our large electrical items before we go down, as they will be past their best and we hope to downsize from a 40ft. container to a 20ft. to save money (and the hassle of preparing it all for shipment).
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I read that NZ electricity runs at 50Hz rather than 60Hz as in the US, so clocks and timers will be off. KH - is that true?
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default I've heard that, too

Quote Originally Posted by selchie View Post
    I read that NZ electricity runs at 50Hz rather than 60Hz as in the US, so clocks and timers will be off. KH - is that true?
    I didn't bring any US clocks with us for that reason. My understanding is that digital clocks keep time by counting the cycles in the electric current, so 50Hz versus 60Hz will mean the clocks won't keep time. I've also heard that if you use appliances with electric motors and plug them in with an adapter rather than a transformer, they, too, will run more slowly--which could cause them to overheat or run hotter and thus fail more quickly.

Again, I don't have an experience with that, but the science seems sound. :shrug:
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Yes we are 50 cycles. A transformer will convert the voltage to 120 but things like vacuums and clocks will run slower.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Erik Ustin is offline Junior Member

Phone bills are also much higher here then the USA. My first few months I paid over $300 calling back to friends and family. I now use LocalCall - The Premium Provider of Affordable Telephony! to make my calls, its less 5 cents NZ per minute. Be sure to check it out, telecom normal rates are around 50 cents/min.

Gas is around $6/gal but you do much less driving and the cars get much better MPG (or in nz L/100km)

In general all consumer goods are much more, but all basic needs are cheaper (cars, insurance, trash, water, home prices, taxes, etc)

danielle is offline Junior Member

Hell yes. If they're paying 70% of shipping, bring everything you can. Just be smart about customs, levies, and power conversions - there's a right way to achieve everything, as long as you settle it before you go.

Also, as a side note, make sure you're insured (by a NZ company) before you go. As an American I found it fairly difficult to get insured once I was already here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast