Thread: would love some opinions

skafee is offline Junior Member

Default would love some opinions

Hi all im new to this whole thing but just came across this forum so thought id explain mine and my girls whole situation and see what people thought. i am an nz citizen and i met an american girl while studying in dunedin in february and we have been pretty much inseparable ever since, the thing is she was on a student exchange sort of program and was just there for the semester, short story is i dropped out of uni and followed her back to the US to try to figure something out. we have decided to get married (yes quite soon i know, but sometimes you are just sure) and we want to come back to NZ to study together. only problem is that if she isnt a resident then she has to pay huge international student fees. she is eligible to get a working holiday visa, so if she got that and came here with me, are we able to get married here? then if she applied for residency through marriage at the end of this year after doing a few months work, (i know it might not quite be 12 months but we have a ton of photos of our travels and could get letters from a lot of people) what are the chances of her being granted residency in time for the 2009 semester over here starting in feb? just looking for peoples insights as to weather or not we might get this all done in time.

thanks for looking!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Skafee, welcome.

As you are a NZ citizen, you could sponsor your lady for residency. Being married alone wouldn't qualify her to apply - you need to have been living together for 12+ months prior to applying and be able to prove this.

Had your partner been intending to work in NZ, she could have got a Work Permit through her relationship with you.

I'm not sure how much cheaper her education fees would be if she was a resident because, with tertiary education, I don't think it is subsidised. I have seen something about it somewhere but can't find it again now.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thanks for that mother bear. i have read that a resident is entitled to domestic fees which can be as low as 5000 for some courses (as apposed to 17,000 for international students). basically what i am trying to determine is if there would be any flexibility on the 12 months, also does anybody know how long a residence application generally takes from start to finish and are there certain times of the year when they are processed faster?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you want to get her to NZ as your partner, she could apply for a Work Visa under the Partnership scheme as I mentioned above. If you click on the 'genuine and stable relationship' link, you can see that you don't need to have been living together for 12 months. You just need to prove that your relationship is genuine and lasting. That would give you enough time to do the living-together stuff and then you can sponsor her for PR.

In here Kiaora mentions that you need to have been living together when the application is made as the rules changed in April. If that is the case, your lady would need to come into NZ on a Visit Visa and then apply for the WP. This is Kiaora's story which has different circumstances to yours, but you maybe able to glean some information about the process.

Residence applications can take anything from a couple of months to nearly a year. It depends on which branch of INZ you are dealing with (NZ ones seem to be busier and can take longer) and how uncomplicated your paperwork is.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thanks a lot motherbear you have been very helpful, shes going to come over on a working holiday visa and we will live together and she will apply for residency in due course.