Thread: Pains me to say it...

RogerLaura is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Pains me to say it...

Hi all,
    Well, I never thought I'd be saying this, as we've been dreaming and planning for nigh on 3 years now, but I’m starting to get some serious wobbles about the timing of our move to NZ.
    We were always going to be doing it on a shoestring, as don’t have much equity in our house, but given the imminent world recession our limited funds aren’t going to stretch very far… I’m starting to think it should be put on ice and the next few years should be a time for consolidation.
    Despite being on the LTSS list we have no solid job offer, other than the promise from NZ recruitment agents that we’ll be found work within a month over there, but it is a long way to go with little money if that doesn’t materialize… and who can accurately predict the labour market in economic times like these?
    I can hardly believe I am thinking along these lines… I must be getting older… I have always been one to do things and weather the storm afterwards but that was as a single guy. Now there are 2 of us, I feel that if things don't work out, then I am responsible for Laura losing a lot… she has a longer career and is much closer to her family here than I to mine.
    I have never really been one to buy in to all the media scaremongering about boom and recession, but this time it is very tangible… you can almost smell it in the air… and we haven’t even put our house on the market yet, with all the woes that is entailing at present.
    We are just at the stage of submitting our ITA forms with police checks about to be sent off, and medicals booked for the next 3 weeks, and for some reason it’s hit me rather hard… very strange, as we’ve been riding on a crest of positivity and optimism for the past 18 months… if we had double the money then I wouldn’t be feeling this way (wouldn’t anybody?!) but I have this image creeping into my mind of what little we take with us being swallowed up by pretty quickly and us being in a worse off situation than here in the UK. The lifestyle change we crave is all well and good but you need some means to support it, even though we don’t plan on living a lavish life.
    What’s the general verdict out there? Would you advise continuing with the ITA to try and get our PR approved to use in the future? What is the "shelf life” on these things?

Please excuse the rambling stream of consciousnees feel to this post, but we have been bigging up our move to everyone over here, utterly positive about it in the face of some serious doubting Thomases, and I feel that a great loss of face is on the horizon… thoughts please!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I think most people get the jitters before making such a serious, ultimately life changing move. The world over is being hit by economic uncertainty, and no one knows what will happen next. I'm not going to recommend what actions you should take as only you know your life, so I'll just lay out the options:

1. Carry on as is, submit the ITA and go for residency. Once you have it approved, you have 12 months to get to NZ to activate it. At this point you could go to NZ to activate the visa, and that gives you 2 years of guaranteed residency should you wish to return home, as long as there are no conditions on your visa. The only tricky point is your returning residents visa, which INZ may not renew if you dont spend more than 6 months per year in NZ for the first 2 years, but that just means that once you are in NZ you wont be able to leave for a while, without losing your residency status until you have 'proved your committment' to NZ.

2. Forget about it for now and see what happens in the world. Waiting it out should see you maintain stability in your life. The only drawback is you run the risk of immigration policy changing and not being able to get to NZ in the future - long shot but you never know.

Ultimately, option 1 leaves the door open and maybe a job will come along in the meanwhile. Option 2 is the simpler, safer option. Don't concern yourself over losing face, you have to do whats best for you, no matter what others think about it. The doubters are just people not brave enough to try it themselves!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi Roger.

Like Taffy says I think everyone goes through the stage of wondering if they are doing the right thing.

Just to make you feel a little better about your situation i'll scare you with what we did.

We (myself, hubby and 2 kids age 4&2) sold our house in the UK (some equity but not too much). OH left a fairly well paid job. Pulled eldest daughter out of school. We packed up and came over with no PR and no sign of a job. Luckily OH has now secured a job (took just short of 4 months) and we are now going through the process of applying for PR.

Now where your situation is better- you have no children (i presume) so just yourselves to worry about. You are in the position to gain PR befoe you arrive in NZ- which will ultimately make getting a job much easier and quicker.

My thoughts behind it all were if we don't try we will never know- better to have tried and it not work out than to never try and spend rest of your life wondering what if.

Just curious- what line of work are you and Laura in?
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Oh, what a dilemma, Roger . You're torn between doing what you want to do and what you think you ought to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy
    The only drawback is you run the risk of immigration policy changing and not being able to get to NZ in the future - long shot but you never know.
    This is one of the reasons why we are going to apply for our PR earlier rather than later (the other being that, at our age, we never know when a health issue might suddenly crop up to prevent us going). INZ often winds us up, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse, with their policy changes and amendments. It can be a bit of a heart-stopper when you think it might be something that could affect you personally and adversely. You might also ponder on how time is passing and whether you would really want to start the immigration process all over again if you dumped it now. And what happens if kids come along? Perhaps you need to ask yourself how secure and well off you are in the UK because it's rumoured a recession is starting there, too. I realise it would be harder to start afresh in NZ whereas you have everything in place right now in the UK. Having the wobblies is very natural and you are doing the responsible thing by weighing up your options now before you go too far.

I was about to say you could drag out your application process by not sending back the ITA until the last minute, but I see you already have your police certificate. If you held back the ITA for whatever time you have left of the 4 months you're allowed before submitting, the police certificate might still be valid but the medicals might be dodgy as the certificates only last for 3 months. Taffy has filled in the rest of the delay tactics you could employ. Of course, all this depends on whether you really want to fork out all that money on getting PR when you might decide you don't want to use it after all. I think maybe we're talking more about you gaining extra time to find a job and settle your mind than waiting for the economic climate in NZ (and a lot of other places) to change. Whether using delaying tactics would give you enough time to think things through, I wouldn't like to say. It is a gamble, there's no doubt, and you need to do a lot of research on living costs and chances of finding a job.

If you did decide to go forward with your application and were granted PR, is there any way you can keep one foot in the UK in case you needed/wanted to go back? Any chance of keeping your jobs open and could you rent out your house to pay the mortgage until you made up your mind if you were staying in NZ?

Going to NZ obviously means a lot to you, so it's worth fighting for although not at the expense of losing everything. I don't envy you having to make this possibly life-changing decision, but can you see yourselves in a better position to make the move in a couple of years time?

Good luck with the decision-making. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make things much simpler for you or give you a crystal ball.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

If there's still a possibility that you'll want to move to NZ in the near future, and you can afford the fees, I'd recommend continuing the process. We've done that, and we still haven't decided whether or not to go. We've liked keeping the immigration door open for a couple more years.

One way we unintentionally slowed down the process was that my OH had minor surgery just before interview time, and we mentioned it to our case officer. NZIS wanted the surgeon to assure them that she had healed, and wouldn't need any more related surgeries. It took us nearly a year of finding out what the exact magic words were, and to get the surgeon to put them on paper. Our only concern was that NZIS would suddenly call "time", and put our application in the trash bin.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

RogerLaura is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies and words of wisdom... wise sentiments in there too, and I genuinely appreciate your thoughts an opinions.

I think it'll be a slow burning decision, weighing up the pros and cons, as things should be in an ideal world... head over heart. I haven't even discussed this with Laura yet... that's something for this evening. Wanted to get it out there with you guys to see what the common consent was... maybe to see if I was being a touch alarmist.

If lived abroad as a single guy before, though was a young and immature fella so it didn't work out as it should. 2 years in Italy and 2 in Sweden really broadened my horizons, but it did make me realise that living and working somewhere is a totally different ball game from a holiday there. I want to learn from those mistakes, when I rushed into things, and do it right, particulary as I have someone else to consider this time.

I loved Italy, and thought the country was great, but was badly paid and that really affected my life over there and thus my enjoyment... I don't want this to be the same for NZ, especially given the distances involved. Nowhere is a utopian paradise, and even a place as beautiful as Italy, with people as hospitable as they are is beset with problems... Emigrate in haste, repent at leisure...

Chances are we'd end up in Hawkes Bay which does look and sound like a lovely destination, as Laura is a food development manager (Heinz and McCains based in Hastings, i believe). She has had a video interview with Heinz. She didn't get the job then, but they were very positive saying it was only the timeframe that she lost out on ( we had only just submitted EOI)... they said they would value her expertise greatly at the company... but that may just be talk! I am a newly qualified plumber, though believe I would have trouble finding work as my quals aren't sufficient to transfer that line of work over to NZ... have a few other strings to my bow, as have had a checkered past!

Thanks again for all the advice, people! Really appreciate it! Will keep you posted...

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RogerLaura View Post
    .... it did make me realise that living and working somewhere is a totally different ball game from a holiday there.
    This is very true . The most idyllic place can be hell on earth if you haven't got enough money to at least get by. I think, if you do decide to go, you need to both be pulling together on this so, if things do go belly up, there shouldn't be any sniping about whose fault it was . You would also need to have a contingency plan in case things went wrong. If you are well prepared you then know you can get out if you have to. Even if it's a 'moving sideways' type plan rather than a 'going backwards' plan, you do need something to move on to if need be.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.