Thread: Searching for Life

OceanMinded is offline Junior Member

Default Searching for Life

Hello all,

I'm sure this is a fairly common thread on the site but I was unable to find any threads already created discussing the topic on my mind.

I am 23 years old and currently living in Florida, USA. Having graduated from college more than a year ago and found myself working in a field I don't particularly enjoy (social work) and living in a town that can't satisfy my sense of adventure (my hometown).

I have always known that I would someday give up the societal woes of America and begin my treck around the world. These days my urge to Go is at an all-time high.

My friend, Sean's desire to visit New Zealand for a few weeks solidified my jumping off point. For the past few weeks we have researched plane tickets, geography and backpacking trails but there was always something in the back of my mind.

While Sean plans on visiting NZ for three weeks then returning to our hometown to start a business I have no desire to end my trip on the Kiwi isles. I just thought that after he left I would continue on to Australia and who knows from there but after some research I've found out this is not as simple as buying a one-way ticket everytime I feel like changing locations.

My questions are such;
    What is the best/safest/cheapest strategy for traveling the world at my own pace? and What steps do I need to take to get to NZ and beyond without buying a round-trip ticket, the second flight of which I would presumably never use?

Any information or comments would be greatly appreciated!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Oceanminded.

If you are just passing through countries temporarily you would presumably need visitor visas and, in many cases an onward ticket is needed before you can get in as it is considered to be one way of moving you on when your visa is running out. In the case of NZ, if you are 30 years old or under, you could apply for a Working Holiday Visa that allows you to do some temporary work while you're in the country which could help support you while you're there. If you don't want to work then the only option is a visitor visa and an onward ticket, I'm afraid.

Most, if not all, of us on here are NZ-bound and probably not up to speed with the best and cheapest methods of travelling the world.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

gnom is offline Member

Some time ago I bought a "round the world' ticket with air new zealand. I had to give some dates when I like to fly to a different place but these dates I could change with a phone call. But when you have such a ticket you will not have any problems with the immigration wherever you are.

Concerning the visas you have to make sure that you have the ones you need. For some countries you may not need a visa for a certain time.

Good luck
    Got Job offer in November 2007
    Got 3-years work visa valid to 15.01.2011 in Jan 08
    Landed in Wellington the 16th January 2008
    Work permit for my partner submitted the 26th Jan 08
    Loged EOI the 27th January 2008
    Was selected the 31st January 2008
    Work permit/visa granted for my partner the 20th Feb 08
    Loged my PR the 28th March 2008
    PR approved 23.07.2008

Cheers
    Gnom