Thread: Teaching in NZ in future

xueli is offline Junior Member

Default Teaching in NZ in future

Hi, I am a newbie to this forum...pls correct me if I do make any mistake.

I am planning to persue my tertiary studies in New Zealand's university (I have applied for some univerisities) next year, which is, 2009. I am interested in teaching, so Bachelor of education is my choice.

Do I have a chance to teach in New Zealand's school after my graduation (which is, about 3/4 years later)? Is the demand good? If so, teacher of which subject(s) is needed there?

Also, will it be easier for me to get a PR there after I work as a teacher? Or they have enough teachers and will ask me to go to my own homecountry after my graduation as I am not needed anymore?

Thanks in advance!

RisenAshes is offline Member

Teaching jobs are bountiful in NZ, especially Secondary schools.

The subjects that are in need are English, Maths, Science and Technology.

I'm sure that you'll do fine in a teaching career in NZ

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Xueli. to MTNZ.

There is a shortage of teachers in NZ although some people have reported difficulty in getting a teaching job there. Usually, if you are coming from outside NZ, you will need to have 2 years of teaching experience after you have qualified before you can teach there. Perhaps it will be different if you are gaining your qualification in NZ though.

If you go to the NZ Website List and look under Education Related Sites you will find quite a few links which may be of interest to you and may answer some of your questions.

Teaching is on the Long Term Skill Shortage List so you would eventually be able to get PR from that.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kiwiguy is offline Member

Hi think about doing early childhood papers as there is a huge shortage in ECE
    as the private early child centers now get government funding but they have to have fully trained teachers by a certain date to be able to get the funding and this has created a shortage

IF not then secondary school jobs seem to be more plentiful also over the last 2 years there has been a baby boom so in a few years that may mean a teacher shortage for primary schools

Quote Originally Posted by RisenAshes View Post
    The subjects that are in need are English, Maths, Science and Technology.
    I see...then I will have to choose those as my major course...

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    There is a shortage of teachers in NZ although some people have reported difficulty in getting a teaching job there. Usually, if you are coming from outside NZ, you will need to have 2 years of teaching experience after you have qualified before you can teach there. Perhaps it will be different if you are gaining your qualification in NZ though.

Teaching is on the Long Term Skill Shortage List so you would eventually be able to get PR from that.
    2 years? oh no~then I cant get a job straight away after my graduation? that's not a good news for me...http://www.movetonz.org/forum/images/smilies/sad.gif

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiguy View Post
    Hi think about doing early childhood papers as there is a huge shortage in ECE
    as the private early child centers now get government funding but they have to have fully trained teachers by a certain date to be able to get the funding and this has created a shortage

IF not then secondary school jobs seem to be more plentiful also over the last 2 years there has been a baby boom so in a few years that may mean a teacher shortage for primary schools

Some universities only have the title for "Bachelor of Education(teaching)"...does this mean I can choose whether to teach in childhood, or primary or secondary?

kiwifruit is offline Junior Member

I don't see a problem with you finding a job in New Zealand if you are gaining the required qualification here.

There are teacher shortages & have been for quite a few years now. The government is even paying $10,000 scholarships (not sure if you have to be a New Zealand resident or citizen to qualify though) if you meet the criteria (i.e teach in a small town, teach in one of the areas where there are shortages). Go to the teachnz website and have a look at what the current shortages are.

Good luck :)

kiwifruit is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by xueli View Post
    I see...then I will have to choose those as my major course...

Yes, you would have to choose one of these subjects as your major, or if you want to really increase your chances of employment I'd say a double major in subjects that currently have teacher shortages.

I know in Auckland you study for 3 years at Auckland University & then do a one year secondary teaching post grad diploma? You used to be able to just go to ACE (Auckland College of Education) but that has changed except for early childhood teaching I believe?

I'm not sure what's available in other areas?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
    [/FONT]

Yes, you would have to choose one of these subjects as your major, or if you want to really increase your chances of employment I'd say a double major in subjects that currently have teacher shortages.

I know in Auckland you study for 3 years at Auckland University & then do a one year secondary teaching post grad diploma? You used to be able to just go to ACE (Auckland College of Education) but that has changed except for early childhood teaching I believe?

I'm not sure what's available in other areas?
    Thanks kiwifruit, your infos are really helpful!

Double major...Hmm...I will give it a try but I am not sure if I can handle both together...if not then I have to give up one...

I applied for University of Auckland and is now waiting for my result and their offer. You are right, 3 year for a Bachelor and 1 more year for secondary teaching qualification.

Anyway, I have applied for Bachelor of Education...and for the secondary teaching qualification...maybe I will wait until I graduate first before I can make a decision for the post-graduate.

Again, very thank you for your kind advices!