Thread: At a standstill!

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Default At a standstill!

Well it looks like everything is on hold!

As everyone is well aware the UK's economy is on a go slow!! There are at least 8 houses in my immediate area which are on sale and have been for quite a while now with no sales!!! So we really have no chance!!!

What i want to ask is... would it be worthwhile for me to possibly study towards a post grad in Teaching / Physiotherapy or something health related to use in NZ??

I dont see things getting any better real soon so thought i may aswell use my time here for something useful!

Anyway, not sure what to do - so HELP! Guess we need to just ride through these waves til the clear seas come... but when that will be, who knows!!

Cheers guys
    Caz xx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Caz

Understand the issue. I recently sold my house in NZ. I had a nice place but had to reduce the price a good bit. I am glad to be out the house market for now.

For me I reduced my price 50+K but I was concerned with where the market was going as well as where it was. It is s a tough time to sell houses worldwide. A price that looks good today is expensive tomorrow. It will swing back but will be slow.

Academia is one place people flee or go when times a bad. They want or need to improve themselves to get a better job. I would hate to be a university graduate right now. Prospects are not good.

To answer your original question. If you have the time and money go for it. It is helping you to move forward. Look at it as an investment in yourself. It may tkae longer to sell your house and you won't complain as bad. Also the bad economy make actually help motivate you in your school work.

I am not sure if this helps you at all but I gave it my best shot.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Caz

Sorry to hear you're having to put things on hold because of the house. Things seemed to have slowed right down in a lot of places now. I wonder how long before it all gets moving again. Even the forum has almost ground to a halt.

Taking a course of study can never be a bad thing and can only add to your knowledge bank, so go for it if it's what you want to do. The time will pass quicker and you'll have something to show at the end of it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Default Bad here, too

Yep, housing market is still a mess where I live, too. I live in a city of about 10,000 people with excellent schools, middle to upper middle class area, and houses here used to be on the market an average of 21 days or less. Now I walk by empty houses that have been that way, and for sale, for over a year. It's really sad.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Thanks guys,

I just thought that i may aswell do "something" while waiting for things to get better, rather than sit about doing nothing, waiting for something to happen.

Although i wish we could just go now, but hey some things are worth waiting for eh??

Cheers,

Caz xxx

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Caz

Sounds like a good plan. I don't see any negatives.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

stanley is offline Member

Hi Caz, we are in the same position, no one interested in even looking at our house, we have seen one in NZ that we love and that would be perfect for us, typical. It is so frustrating.
    Hope you get started on your course soon or find a buyer for your house.

Paula.

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by stanley View Post
    Hi Caz, we are in the same position, no one interested in even looking at our house, we have seen one in NZ that we love and that would be perfect for us, typical. It is so frustrating.
    Hope you get started on your course soon or find a buyer for your house.

Paula.
    Hi Paula

Yeah things are a nightmare just now. So thats why i thought i may aswell do something to take my mind off the whole " i want to go now" cenario.

I have been told by a few people that its gonna take 2 years for the economy to settle down. I really want to be in NZ before that, so kinda hoping things will be better by next year!!

I just hope NZ immigration do not change their policies too much haha

On the bright side it will give us some extra time to try and save a bit more money and pay some things off!

Anyway, hope things get better for u too.
    Good Luck

Caz xxx

hairyjosef is offline Junior Member

Hi Caz

Sorry to hear you are stuck. Our house has been on the market for 3 months now.. 2 viewers but not even a sniff of an offer.... It's really dis-heartening, esp as the estate agent told us that 8 months ago it would have sold in a week...(very helpful to tell us that now!)

We are flying out at the end of oct, so are advertising it for rent as of next week. The estate agent has a list of people wanting family homes, so shouldn't be a prob. Have you considered renting for a year or so till market improves??

It means we can't buy out there just yet, but the equity in our uk house will be worth more in a couple of yrs when converted to dollars- will hopefully be a nice deposit over there.

Anyway, whatever you decide, all the best.

Re the healthcare jobs by the way, Hubby and I are Osteopaths, and osteo's and physios are on the "wanted" list, so you won't have any probs getting jobs with that!

Good luck!

Jo