Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time Limit Allowed After Immigration Accepted

maxius42 is offline Member

Arrow Time Limit Allowed After Immigration Accepted

Hi

I wish to ask something technical. If I apply EOI now and get accepted within 2 months, how much time would I be given to actually move to New Zealand.
    I mean it won't be like I could go anytime, it would be a 2 months or 6 months time limit. I would need to pack things up, like selling my car and apartment and other stuff that might take 6 to 8 months...

I know Nicky Williams is accepted, but she will move around September. I want to know what time limit she has been allowed to be there in NZ. Also, please let me know, if there is any difference in that time limit from case to case or country to country.

Desperately awaiting replies...

Keep Cool
    Max

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Max

I hope this is what you mean. From the time you get your PR you have 12 months before you must go to NZ to activate it or you will lose it. You can extend the time between being told you have been granted PR and the time you actually get the PR stickers in your passport by delaying payment of the Migrant Levy. You have 4 months to pay that so, altogether you should have about 16 months.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Thanks a great

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Hi Max

I hope this is what you mean. From the time you get your PR you have 12 months before you must go to NZ to activate it or you will lose it. You can extend the time between being told you have been granted PR and the time you actually get the PR stickers in your passport by delaying payment of the Migrant Levy. You have 4 months to pay that so, altogether you should have about 16 months.
    Thanks MB...

That was quick, I was thinking to go for my EOI now if this time was over 6 months... Now that you say its about 12 months... Thats just great...

Do I've to go for my NZQA process first? I think it would be nice to get my qualifications certified by NZQA...

Hey MB... It would be really nice if you can reply me with milestones in my Immigration Process... As I see, it is as:

1. Certify international qualifications from NZQA
    2. Apply for EOI
    3. Upon approval of EOI, apply for PR
    4. Then ITA
    5. Then further proceedings...

Please rectify me if I am missing something, or I am going astray...

Keep Cool
    Max

Blog Entries

The NZQA can take some time to assess your qualifications so the earlier you do it the better, I would think.

Here's a diagram showing the steps to follow for the PR application. I don't know if this will help you.
    Mother Bear

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Hi Max - to clarify what MB has said. When you receive your ITA you have 4 months to submit it. It can then take quite a while to be granted PR depending on what is in it. Mine was pretty quick as I had a job and no other issues. Once you get approved you then have to pay the Migrant Levy before they can issue the visa's. I think you have up to 6 months to pay this (not sure) then your visa is valid for 12 months from when it is issued (migrant levy paid). That means you have to activate it within 12 months - you could just visit NZ for a few days and then leave if you weren't able to stay.

HTH
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    Hi Max - to clarify what MB has said. When you receive your ITA you have 4 months to submit it. It can then take quite a while to be granted PR depending on what is in it. Mine was pretty quick as I had a job and no other issues. Once you get approved you then have to pay the Migrant Levy before they can issue the visa's. I think you have up to 6 months to pay this (not sure) then your visa is valid for 12 months from when it is issued (migrant levy paid). That means you have to activate it within 12 months - you could just visit NZ for a few days and then leave if you weren't able to stay.

HTH
    Hi Nicky

So, are you telling me that just to activate my PR, I can move to NZ for few days and can come back. Will then I would be able to move to NZ anytime afterwards... say 2 or 3 years...

If this is so, it is more than i wanted...

Keep Cool
    Max

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi Max

Once you have activated your PR you wouldn't be able to leave for that long. You will have to spend a minimum amount of days out of the year in NZ to keep your PR. Not sure how many days it is though- maybe someone else can help with that one but i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be more than a few months.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Blog Entries

What Beth says is correct IF you want to qualify for your Indefinite Returning Resident's Visa. You need to stay about 6 months in NZ for each of the first 2 years after which time you can get the IRRV which allows you to come and go from NZ as you like and for as long as you like (within reason).

If you aren't too worried about getting the IRRV after 2 years, you can leave NZ for longer periods, but you must make sure to apply for a new RRV before the old one expires. I would guess that INZ would be monitoring your reasons for not being in NZ for such long periods and if the reasons weren't good enough they would see it as you not having sufficient commitment to NZ.

Something important to note: if you claimed points for an offer of skilled employment, you must take that job up within three months of being granted your permit. You must also stay in that job for at least three months and provide INZ with evidence that you have met these requirements within seven months of being granted your first residence permit.
    Mother Bear

Default That was really useful...

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    What Beth says is correct IF you want to qualify for your Indefinite Returning Resident's Visa. You need to stay about 6 months in NZ for each of the first 2 years after which time you can get the IRRV which allows you to come and go from NZ as you like and for as long as you like (within reason).

If you aren't too worried about getting the IRRV after 2 years, you can leave NZ for longer periods, but you must make sure to apply for a new RRV before the old one expires. I would guess that INZ would be monitoring your reasons for not being in NZ for such long periods and if the reasons weren't good enough they would see it as you not having sufficient commitment to NZ.

Something important to note: if you claimed points for an offer of skilled employment, you must take that job up within three months of being granted your permit. You must also stay in that job for at least three months and provide INZ with evidence that you have met these requirements within seven months of being granted your first residence permit.
    Thanks To All of You...

Info was really useful to clear up my mind and plan well... Thanks again. My leaves from NZ after PR won't be in months but in days (if required)... I am gonna be citizen of NZ one day and thats what I would like... To make NZ my home...

Well, to catch up with rest of family and friends, you need to move back also... but that would be momentary...

Keep Cool
    Max

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Have things changed for more recent immigrants? After getting our blue stickers/PR visa, we were given 24 months to activate them. -At least it better be 24 months (yikes?). I ought to double-check, but I'm sure they expire in 2009.

For us, we did have 6 months to pay the migrant levy & get our stickers after being accepted.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast