Thread: Baby? Working? Sickdays?

gnom is offline Member

Default Baby? Working? Sickdays?

In the last month my daughter (1) is always sick. First she had a ear infection, after that high fever and now she has a infection in her eyes. Poor Bebe
    Since my wife and I are both working she goes to a daycare, which she really likes. But the problem is that she can not go there when she isn't 100% healthy.
    So we are always managing that one of us stays home and take a sick day. But the sickdays are long gone and we have to take holiday to be with our bebe and take care. In a few weeks time we run out of holidays. Our bebe might be healthy by then but we need to have once a holiday.

I wonder if there are other couples with young children where both are working. I would be interested in the way they do it.

In Switzerland we could stay at home and after the third day we had to bring a attest from the doctor. But as many time as needed.

Thanks for your reply.
    Got Job offer in November 2007
    Got 3-years work visa valid to 15.01.2011 in Jan 08
    Landed in Wellington the 16th January 2008
    Work permit for my partner submitted the 26th Jan 08
    Loged EOI the 27th January 2008
    Was selected the 31st January 2008
    Work permit/visa granted for my partner the 20th Feb 08
    Loged my PR the 28th March 2008
    PR approved 23.07.2008

Cheers
    Gnom

rasin is offline Member

Hi,
    One alternative could be a temporary baby sitter for say 1 or 2 mth? Of course that is provided the babysitting fees is affordable in NZ... Anyone knows what's the rate?

loopylu is offline Member

Babysitting rates around here (Queenstown) start at about $12-$14 per hour if you find someone off a message board and you check references and police check yourself. However most people use one of the agencies and through them it costs either $12 per hour plus $20 per day agency fee or other agency is $16 per hour + $10 per day agency fee (or $5 agency fee if its evening and not day time). Am sure it varies slightly according to location but this should give you a rough idea.
    Arrived in New Zealand on WHV on 5th Feb '08.

Facebook ID: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=704762406

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by loopylu View Post
    Babysitting rates around here (Queenstown) start at about $12-$14 per hour if you find someone off a message board and you check references and police check yourself. However most people use one of the agencies and through them it costs either $12 per hour plus $20 per day agency fee or other agency is $16 per hour + $10 per day agency fee (or $5 agency fee if its evening and not day time). Am sure it varies slightly according to location but this should give you a rough idea.
    This is great!

I have been hunting to try to find prices for childcare and babysitting! Are there lots of agencies you can use or are they limited?

Oh sry for the highjack! lol

Cheers Caz xx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

An old thread I dug up on childcare matters . Bear in mind it's from a year ago so I guess prices will have risen a tad. This one is more recent and there's more chat about childcare if you scroll down a bit.

Don't know if there's anything of use in there, but you never know.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

loopylu is offline Member

Hi Caz,

I have no idea of the set up in the rest of New Zealand, however I guess it would be pretty similar to here. Up until a couple of months ago there was only 1 agency in Queenstown, however a second childcare agency has started up so there is now a bit of competition. I am sure in the bigger towns and cities there are a number of agencies. The second agency here (the one who charges $12ph + $20 agency fee) is a new branch of an agency who also have bases in Dunedin and Christchurch so guess if any of those places are of interest to you then these prices would probably also be applicable there. Both agencies would cover babysitting, temporary cover, after-school care or helping you find a part-time/full-time nanny. Their websites are: activecare :: child care agency :: queenstown new zealand and Annies Nannies, Nanny and Babysitting Agency, Christchurch, New Zealand in case you want to find out a bit more about what they offer etc.

Hope that helps
    Arrived in New Zealand on WHV on 5th Feb '08.

Facebook ID: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=704762406

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by loopylu View Post
    Hi Caz,

I have no idea of the set up in the rest of New Zealand, however I guess it would be pretty similar to here. Up until a couple of months ago there was only 1 agency in Queenstown, however a second childcare agency has started up so there is now a bit of competition. I am sure in the bigger towns and cities there are a number of agencies. The second agency here (the one who charges $12ph + $20 agency fee) is a new branch of an agency who also have bases in Dunedin and Christchurch so guess if any of those places are of interest to you then these prices would probably also be applicable there. Both agencies would cover babysitting, temporary cover, after-school care or helping you find a part-time/full-time nanny. Their websites are: activecare :: child care agency :: queenstown new zealand and Annies Nannies, Nanny and Babysitting Agency, Christchurch, New Zealand in case you want to find out a bit more about what they offer etc.

Hope that helps
    Thanks,

This is great!

Had a look at the sites and they look quite good. They dont tell what they charge tho.. but $12 an hour seems ok, especially if its only an hour here and there. Good to know tho, that we could get one at night to allow us to have a night out...

Thanks again, this is great.

Caz xxx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Some background information.

Input sought on childcare rules
    By ARWEN HANN - The Press | Thursday, 29 May 2008

Gym creches and other childcare centres where children attend for only a short time will not have to employ registered teachers but will have to meet other criteria under new Government plans.

Under Education Ministry rules, all centres that provide education or care to three or more children aged under six need a licence.

They must employ a registered early-childcare teacher, develop education plans and programmes, and provide suitable sleeping quarters for babies.

About 15 gym creches, including 11 in Nelson, were caught out by the regulations last year after a complaint about overcrowding at one Nelson centre.

They were given notice by the ministry to comply with regulations or close down. Of the 15, seven closed their creches.

Now the Government is consulting on new "light regulatory" criteria for limited-attendance centres where a child attends for no more than two hours a day and no more than six hours a week. Parents must also be nearby and able to take responsibility for the children at short notice.

Under the proposed criteria, centres will be able to take a maximum of 16 children at any time.

There must be one staff member for every four children, but staff members do not need to be registered teachers.

Centres will need to meet health and safety and management standards, develop a range of learning experiences for children and provide feedback for parents.

National Party early-childhood spokeswoman Paula Bennett said she had concerns about the proposals.

"I can easily accept that under-twos have a ratio of 1:4, but for four-year-olds? A kindergarten currently has a ratio of 1:15, so I would have thought a ratio of 1:8 for over-threes would have been acceptable.

"I would also like to see them extend the hours per week. In my opinion, it is not the two hours that are a problem but the six hours maximum a week.

"It proposes that a parent exercise only three times a week, and I don't think it is necessary if you are restricting to two hours a day to then also restrict the hours per week."

Health and safety regulations needed to be reasonable and not financially unsustainable for creches, she said.

Nelson mother Sheila Scott, who petitioned the Government to reconsider the closures, also had concerns about the ratios.

The consultation on the proposed criteria ends next month.

From here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

rasin is offline Member

Hi,
    There's one here In Home Child Care New Zealand, Child Care Jobs New Zealand : Porse Network but not sure is the location convenient for you.

gnom is offline Member

Thank you for all your comments. It is very helpfull
    Got Job offer in November 2007
    Got 3-years work visa valid to 15.01.2011 in Jan 08
    Landed in Wellington the 16th January 2008
    Work permit for my partner submitted the 26th Jan 08
    Loged EOI the 27th January 2008
    Was selected the 31st January 2008
    Work permit/visa granted for my partner the 20th Feb 08
    Loged my PR the 28th March 2008
    PR approved 23.07.2008

Cheers