Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Job offers and how to go about getting one?

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Default Job offers and how to go about getting one?

Hi all

Just a wee question...

Me and my OH are looking to try to get a job offer before we come to NZ, but whats the best way of going about it?

I had a look through the list of the "accredited" employers and there are quite a few in my OH's field (IT) but not many in mine (Health/Fitness)! We were planning on sending a few CV's to the ones we found!

I also found some other employment sites with many recruitment agencies and employers, however any current jobs advertised do not allow you to apply unless you are in NZ.

So really is there anything else we could do, or anywhere else we could search to try to get an offer?

Any help appreciated

Thanks,
    Caz xxx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

What about trying Yellow Pages ? If you could find some likely companies that deal in your skills, perhaps you could give them a ring or send an email to see if they would be interested.

I would think most potential employers would need some sort of commitment from you that you really do intend coming to NZ before offering you a job. A lot of people fall by the wayside and never actually make it there.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Thanks Motherbear,

I had a wee look at some on there. Problem is how do you convince them that you are committed to going??

Posted our CV's on a few sites, so hope we will get something back from that. Also kinda hoping the NZ jobs expo will help, but til then we gotta keep trying and see what we get.

Thanks, Caz

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

A lot of people talk about coming to NZ but many don't. Employers don't waste time unless it is a specialty or you have excellent qualifications. Most would wait until you have residency so they don't have work permit issues but this is not a big deal for them.

IT is an area where there is a strong need and employers are used to to getting people in advance before they arrive. A lot of IT jobs are go via recruiters. If you work with a couple of them your OH should get a job offer if his experience is in demand.

Cheers,

Cliff
    Last edited by Cliff; 18-05-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added clarity
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Thanks Cliff,

I will keep searching for sites etc to apply for jobs and keep sending CV's away. If we have to come over for a brief visit to NZ for interviews etc, then we will do that, as i dont want to sell up in the UK without having a visa first.

We are gonna get the ball rolling and get our EOI in without a job offer to see if we get selected anyway. We have 130 points with no job offer, so there might be a chance.

Anyway, thx for the advice, much appreciated.

Caz xxx

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Caz,

As Cliff says, many people apply to jobs in NZ but change their minds. I've heard many stories of people who get jobs, get residency granted and then decide not to go too. After attending seminars for NZ employers looking to recruit overseas staff, people not turning up was one of the biggest concerns expressed by employers, along side people returning home after a short period.

When you're in a high demand field like IT, sometimes it can be worthwhile just packing up and going to NZ, and deal with job finding when you've arrived. There are plenty of jobs available in IT, so it's not normally too long before you get something! This is, of course, quite risky so takes a little bit of courage! It shows employers committment though
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Hi Caz,

As Cliff says, many people apply to jobs in NZ but change their minds. I've heard many stories of people who get jobs, get residency granted and then decide not to go too. After attending seminars for NZ employers looking to recruit overseas staff, people not turning up was one of the biggest concerns expressed by employers, along side people returning home after a short period.

When you're in a high demand field like IT, sometimes it can be worthwhile just packing up and going to NZ, and deal with job finding when you've arrived. There are plenty of jobs available in IT, so it's not normally too long before you get something! This is, of course, quite risky so takes a little bit of courage! It shows employers committment though
    Hey Taffy,

If we were to sell up here and go to NZ to find work, would we be forced to return home to the UK to apply for a visa or PR?

Also how would that go with immigration?? I thought in order to get in you have to have a work permit or PR visa?? Would we have to go on a holiday visa and then apply in NZ once we found work?

Sorry not really sure how all that works :( We have read through all the info on submitting a PR application through the skilled migrant category, but we have not really looked into doing it the other way.

So what would be the best way to do that. Like you say though, i dont think it would take us long to find work, but i wouldnt want to be sent back on the first plane! haha

Thanks, Caz x

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Yes, come in as a visitor and find work, then you can apply for a work permit to start work if need be, and give you a longer stay while you apply for PR. It can all be done from within NZ. It's what we did, it's what ebianca and Dawn are doing right now, plus a few others on here have also gone the same route!

So, don't panic, they won't kick you out to apply for PR! As long as you have a valid permit (be that visitor/work etc) then you can stay.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Taffy

Well said. I lined up some interviews and flew over for them. I had 3 job interviews and got 3 job offers. The fact I was here showed a commitment. Also they could hear it in your voice.

The action of moving to another country can scare a lot of people. They want to and plan it to death but never take the actual action.

New Zealand is going though some slow times at the moment due to the world slow down and cos of oil rise. The country will come back faster than most because of the people and fact we are small. The country will react faster to these issues and not wallow in it. Also we are used to ting changing. The USA is like an aircraft carrier. It moves slower but look out when it begins to turn, It ill run over anything in its path. NZ is a speedboat, we can maneuver and change must quicker. We also used to riding the wakes of the big ships.

In the long run NZ will be even better and stronger. This not a country of wingers and whiners but some pretty smart people. We won't do it like other places because we are not other places. We will do what fits and is best for NZ.

I will step down from my soapbox now. Sorry for the outburst.

Cheers

Cliff
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

A lot has been said on this thread already but i'll stick my nose in anyway.

I think IT is a tough one to get a job offer without being in NZ- it's not like nursing or simialr roles where your quals say you can actually do the job. Not saying it can't be done but don't build all your plans on getting an offer before you leave cos you could be waiting a while.

My OH is in IT- we have been here almost 8 weeks now and not got a job offer yet. We took the gamble and sold up in the UK and came here on Visit visas (6months from UK). If you are confiedent in your own skills and are here in person you will be fine and as long as you are willing to wait. Some people get jobs in a matter of weeks some take longer- the job market does seem to have picked up a little in the last couple of weeks.

We used Seek as a good place to search for jobs that are available and there are a lot of recruitment agencies that use it to advertise.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast