Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dating

essexgirl is offline Member

Default Dating

Hey

This is going to sound like a real silly thread but does anyone know what the dating scene is like in NZ. I should be moving over next year and am still young only 22 , im staying single at the moment beacuse of the move but would really love to find somone once im settled. Here in the UK it feels most guys are either married, drugged up or gay.

Any thoughts anyone???
    Lara

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Dating is completely banned in NZ. Their official motto is 'Come single, die single'

Just kidding of course. I'm not really sure what the dating scene is like as I'm one of the aforementioned married men. I would think that being part of a social group would get you the most introductions. Most other things in NZ work on referals, so why not dating!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I would tend to give the advice that I normally put out when someone is looking to meet other folks, whatever the gender, and that is to put yourself out there by joining clubs and groups that organise meetings and get-togethers, particularly those involved in activities that you yourself are interested in. That way you can learn and have fun while you make new friends. One thing often leads to another.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

I'm no dating expert, but I met my partner on an on-line dating site (here in the US). That may not be for you, but it is a way to "see what's out there". People put it down a lot, but honestly, you can eliminate a lot of less desirables before having to meet them face to face. Here in the US, there is a site one can access - Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups! - Meetup.com, and there may be similiar sites world wide, but what this is, is people who have an interest - let's say, Golden Retrievers - and other people who have the same interest, join in and eventually they get together, maybe to have a play date at a dog park with their Goldens or whatever. I know I have seen things like dinner groups and people who are interested in all kinds of things on this site.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

hey essexgirl

u ve got nothing to worry about, kiwi boys are the best ever!!!!!

i dont think dating s any different to any other country.. if you are asking what the boys are like, then u have nothing to worry about at all ;)

thanks for your replies everyone

kiaora - you wouldnt happen to be a new zealand male would you ?? hehe
    Lara

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Here you are, Lara, a little insight into dating in NZ .

'The dating scene is different here. In England, you can know quite quickly whether a woman is interested in you by the way she looks at you. Most English women can smile with their eyes, but not Kiwis. It took me a while to get used to, because on one hand Kiwis are open and friendly, but that doesn't mean they have any interest in you. Kiwis operate on a code I don't understand. You can be sitting there thinking, oh well, nice to meet you, but then she's jumping you.

"Kiwi men don't seem to look for any particular cues, they just tend to dive in and if they get told to f**k off, they do. There's not much subtlety.

"In England, it's seen as polite to accept a drink and rude to refuse, whereas Kiwi girls will refuse a drink. Accepting a drink is almost seen as entering a contract: it says you're on your way to something. "Kiwi women are much more blokey in their approach to relationships. Here, you might see a woman a couple of times then she stops returning your calls. In England, most women will say something like, I don't think we have anything in common.'

More about other stuff here

Good luck to you, I say.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thanks MB a really good insight :) hehe
    Lara

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by essexgirl View Post
    thanks for your replies everyone

kiaora - you wouldnt happen to be a new zealand male would you ?? hehe
    haha good thinking :)

no i m a european female, but my partner is a kiwi guy... actually i dated an essexboy for years..u ll find a huge difference there :)
    I guess it depends what you are into, but all of New Zealand is so multi culturell I m sure you ll find someone suitable, just make sure you go out heaps ;)

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Dating is completely banned in NZ. Their official motto is 'Come single, die single'
    I much prefer Cat's line in The Cat in the Hat....

Be a lone wolf. Live alone. Die alone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast