Thread: First step to New Zealand

reiner is offline Junior Member

Question First step to New Zealand

Hi everyone, i'm new here and i would like to ask some questions about your personal experiences. Living in christchurch has been me and my partner's dream, so we're trying to get there if there any chances. We're working on the EOI and still confused about the NZQA qualifications part since my degree is not on the list, I was graduated Diplome of Commerce from Melbourne Institute of Business and Technology by the way. Should I get assessment from NZQA first before submitting my EOI? I'm also thinking about just going to christchurch, get a job offer there, and working on my EOI on shore. Is it okay to go just like that on a visitor visa? How long is it till the visitor visa expired? Can i get a job offer before that time? Can ANY JOB be included as in term of job offer to gain more points on my EOI? I read somewhere on the forum that someone suggest to go to New Zealand bring the police certificate along and do everything on shore. I guess it takes a lot of nerve and risk to do so. Has anyone just done it? Many thanks before.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Reiner and welcome.

Many people have gone to NZ on a visitor's visa and looked for work when they were there but, of course, you mustn't let INZ know this is your intention. How long you can stay on a VV depends on where you are from. Those who come from the UK, for instance, can stay for up to 6 months but some other countries it is only 3 months. I'm not sure how long you would be able to stay, coming from your country, so it would be best to ask at the NZ Embassy there to give you an idea of how long you would have. This is a guide to applying for a VV for NZ.

If you want to claim extra points for a job offer on your EOI, the job offer must relate to your qualification. You can't use just any job offer.

You could take your police certificate with you and I'm sure it would be easier, but be aware that they only last for a certain amount of time before you would need a new one. That would mean you would have to submit your EOI and ITA within that time.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Many people have gone to NZ on a visitor's visa and looked for work when they were there but, of course, you mustn't let INZ know this is your intention. How long you can stay on a VV depends on where you are from. Those who come from the UK, for instance, can stay for up to 6 months but some other countries it is only 3 months. I'm not sure how long you would be able to stay, coming from your country, so it would be best to ask at the NZ Embassy there to give you an idea of how long you would have. This is a guide to applying for a VV for NZ.

If you want to claim extra points for a job offer on your EOI, the job offer must relate to your qualification. You can't use just any job offer.

You could take your police certificate with you and I'm sure it would be easier, but be aware that they only last for a certain amount of time before you would need a new one. That would mean you would have to submit your EOI and ITA within that time.

Dear MotherBear, first of all nice to know you and many thanks for your reply, a single post and it's lighten me up. I dont really know about christchurch job area, is there any job there to do without a valid working visa? I might need a job while waiting for my EOI assessment.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reiner View Post
    I dont really know about christchurch job area, is there any job there to do without a valid working visa? I might need a job while waiting for my EOI assessment.
    You are not allowed to work in NZ without a valid visa. If you can find a job, you must apply for a Work Permit, which will allow you to work there and you can also submit your EOI at the same time so both your WP and your PR application will run together. The WP will carry you through until your PR application is finalised.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    You are not allowed to work in NZ without a valid visa. If you can find a job, you must apply for a Work Permit, which will allow you to work there and you can also submit your EOI at the same time so both your WP and your PR application will run together. The WP will carry you through until your PR application is finalised.
    Do I have to apply for WP before apply for a job? If so,can a partner be included on a single WP application as on EOI?