Thread: Wildlife/Conservation Work Placement?

Prophecy is offline Junior Member

Arrow Wildlife/Conservation Work Placement?

Hi guys!

This is a great forum - I have been reading for a few weeks now.

I live in Northern Ireland, and I'm studying a Degree in Rural and Countryside Management. I am looking at suitable placements from June onwards for at least 4 months.

I have been looking for New Zealand Wildlife Forums, or something of the like, but can't seem to find anything.

I may have a possible placement sorted in Christchurch, but it is only for 10 weeks. Does anyone know of anywhere else taking people on? I must stress that I'm looking for a paid placement, as it ain't cheap for a student to travel across the world!

Thanks a lot guys - and I hope this isn't out of context here. If it is, just let me know.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Prophecy and

Here's a link to the NZ Dept. of Conservation which might give you a lead to finding conservation work. It's worth a try. If they can't take you on themselves perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

You're right when you say there's a dearth of NZ wildlife forums and a lot of wildlife reserves are looking mainly for volunteers. I suspect the trick is to find out what sort of places do actually pay you to work there and look for similar organisations around the country. I've looked at several wildlife parks but they all seem to take only volunteers.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Smile

Thanks Mother Bear!

You have some cracker smileys on here don't you!?

I've already contacted the Department of Conservation, and I may have one paid placement, but getting another before I head out would be good.

I've just submitted my 'Working Holiday' request. Do you know how long it usually takes?

Thanks!

Paul

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure how long a WHV takes to come through because different branches take differing amounts of time to process visas, depending on how busy they are at the time, but I shouldn't think they would take long because they aren't as involved as going through the full process for residency. Not so much paperwork flying about and rigorous checking going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Prophecy
    You have some cracker smileys on here don't you!?
    Yes, there's a few of us on here who are quite fond of a smiley or three in our posts.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    I'm not sure how long a WHV takes to come through because different branches take differing amounts of time to process visas, depending on how busy they are at the time, but I shouldn't think they would take long because they aren't as involved as going through the full process for residency. Not so much paperwork flying about and rigorous checking going on.
    Yes, there's a few of us on here who are quite fond of a smiley or three in our posts.

Cheers MB. Glad it won't take too long. I need to sort out accomodation and stuff. Oh - and money!

I've uploaded a handful of smileys from here and recommended we use them on my usual forum! The 'titter' one is popular!