Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about NZ phone sockets & Skype

pleccy2000 is offline Member

Default Question about NZ phone sockets & Skype

Is the socket that you plug phones in to the wall in NZ the same as the UK ones?

I am investing in a new phone (one that does regular PSTN and also SKYPE) but I won't bother if the landline wall connection is different in NZ.

I'm a skype virgin But i hear that it's really good. - is it good enough to not even bother with a landline?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

The phones are exactly the same sockets, but UK phone equipment is not permitted to be used on the NZ network. Although it works perfectly (they are pretty much identical systems!) if there is a fault on your line and the engineer spots your phone is not approved, you're liable for the WHOLE repair bill, regardless of fault!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

duane1x is offline Member

Skype has been awesome, but I am using it on a laptop so it wouldn't be adequate for all your phone calls used this way. I use it a lot more for dial out and I tell people jokingly about my cordless phone as I walk around the house carrying a laptop to get a cup of tea or something.

I see some interesting gadgets here, but haven't investigated further. It's pretty much doing what I want already. VoSKY - Products Center

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

We have been using skype for keeping in touch with people back in the UK. Using just voice and webcam and we've had no problems at all.

When we buy a phone (when we find a house) i'm in no doubt Neil will be choosing one that is Skype enabled aswell as standard phone.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

We use Skype regularly between the UK & the States & find it excellent. I'm also now using it on my mobile via Wifi. As far as NZ goes, I'll be hoping to just use Skype, but will depend on broadband speed. I've been told by several people in NZ not to bother using Skype with dialup.

We also looked at a dual phone but in the end decided to have separate phones as here anyway, we didn't want to tie up our landline while using Skype.

As a side issue, we and our son have tried to use 2 different skype phones on 2 different pc's, but due to interference, we can only get decent call quality on laptops. Any ideas anyone?

KG
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

kokopeli is offline God like figure

The Taffmeister speaketh the truth! Check out the 'official position' on overseas telephones and modems here...

About Telepermit

This is what they say......

Q.1 "I'm coming from overseas and want to bring a "xx" with me" - are there any rules?;

Answer: Yes. Products sold on overseas markets do NOT have Telepermits and may not suit either the Telecom network or New Zealand regulations. At least some problems are likely, but local suppliers probably don't have the necessary spare parts or product information to service or modify the product. We recommend you sell the item in its home country, where it has some commercial value.

Q.2 "I've arrived from overseas and have a "xx" with me - what do I have to do to connect it".

Answer: Overseas products should NOT be connect to our lines. To do so is in breach of your contract with us. If you do decide to connect overseas products and trouble results, not only will we be unable to repair them, but we will charge you a service fee to cover any work we do in finding that your non-Telepermitted equipment caused the fault. If harm to our network or services is caused by your equipment, we have the right to charge you for any remedial action we take. Overseas standards and products may differ from our own in many respects. Testing and modification costs far outweigh the local costs of replacing the item with a local equivalent.

Of course, if your overseas equipment has been working without any problems in NZ for over 12 months, you might be forgiven for thinking that this is a shameless ploy to get you to spend your dwindling pile of disposable income on Telecom-approved equipment..... (Blimey, that was almost a rant!)

Hang on, I haven't finished!

If you own a modem that was bought overseas and the same make and model appears on the Telepermit list, but your modem doesn't have a Telepermit sticker on it, can you legally use it in NZ? Apparently not.

And how far up the phone-line does the compliance requirement extend?

The way I read those regulations, you would be in breach if you connected the broadband cable from your NZ-origin broadband modem into the broadband port of your non-NZ origin computer. The breach comes because you have connected non-approved equipment to the line, albeit indirectly.

Does the same logic apply to wireless connections? Hmmmmm.

This is getting closer to a rant as I type!

Blog Entries

Connecting the broadband equipment to your PC doesnt matter, as the PC is not a telecommunications device so doesnt need to be approved. As long as the device connected directly to the socket is approved, you're ok - except in the case of broadband where you need an approved filter AND modem
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    ...the PC is not a telecommunications device.....
    Ooooohh, I can feel a good discussion about semantics coming on!

Blog Entries

Bring it on

I should expand though and say only if there isnt a modem built in to the mother board, as that would be! You can still use the PC, just not the built in modem!
    Taffy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast