Thread: GOOD GOD - well what about this?

dianabutnotaprincess is offline Junior Member

Wink GOOD GOD - well what about this?

Ermm well as a newbie to the site I don't want to raise tooooooo much trouble, but I do wonder what people have to think about this? I've been to NZ quite a few times as almost all my family live there. This means I haven't done much touristy stuff because I never have any money and I'm always visiting relis and their friends. I've got the impression that NZ social life is quite different to here in the UK. People are really friendly, but somehow the level of interesting conversation doesn't seem to be there. I've noticed that bringing up politics, emotions and complaints of any sort all get short shrift. Getting out of the Pom habit of whinging all the time is great, but the other two I rather miss. Also it seems easier to make acquaintances than friends - what do you think? Is it just my family's friends? Is all of NZ like this? Have you made really good, close friends in NZ?

looking forward to some lively answers!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dianabutnotaprincess View Post
    ...looking forward to some lively answers!
    Or any answers at all would do . What a lazy lot . I'd have thought this was a good topic to start a discussion although I must admit to thinking I was in line for some juicy gossip or similar when I read the title of the thread.

Have faith Diana, someone will get around to answering, although it's getting near to bedtime in NZ now. Might take a while as it's a bit slow on here at the moment and a lot of our NZers tend to get busy doing NZish things and don't necessarily pop into the forum every day.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Ginabridget is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dianabutnotaprincess View Post
    People are really friendly, but somehow the level of interesting conversation doesn't seem to be there. I've noticed that bringing up politics, emotions and complaints of any sort all get short shrift.
    I think that this could be as a result of being a new to the area because what you've mentioned above is exactly how I found England when I first came here, and I think Australia was the same when I lived there for a while. I think that once you get through the first 18 months of being in the new place/meeting new people you tend to get back to talking about absolutely everything and being able to have a right good whinge (which is good for the soul I reckon).

What I found difficult when I first left NZ (I'm in the process of moving back now) was making new friends where you didn't have years of shared history that binds you together, you have to work at making new friends and before you know it you've got that shared history.

I'm not sure I've made that very clear, but I hope you get what I mean.

It's one of the things I'm not looking forward to when I do finally get back to NZ is that I'll have to start all over again on the friend front. Blimey that sounds terrible doesn't it, but now I've got the kids I'm not sure I've got the energy to be super-friendly.
    26 January 2008 - House under offer, we're getting closer
    Feb 08 - our sale has fallen through
    19 March 08 - accepted another offer on the house
    Booked tickets, will arrive in NZ 4 July 2008
    Currently enjoying the 'weather bomb' in Northland July 08
    Anticipating a move to Auckland in the next few weeks - November 08

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

MB, I did type a lengthy reply to this yesterday, being, as you are aware, a woman of opinion BUT the vair vair stoopid lappy went all spango on me and blanked my screen So, when I get back from working out work later I will sit down and try again. Don't know if that ever happens to you guys but if I've replied once and then lost it, I sometimes don't bother again. You are right MB, vair vair lazy
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

dianabutnotaprincess is offline Junior Member

cheers for the replies - well I look forward to Dawn's (pesky, techie things allowing).
    Ginabridget, it's really interesting that you've felt like this in England and Aus - sounds like you're right, I'll just have to make that effort! In fact we're only planning to go for a year so we'll have to be super super friendly otherwise may not get through that stage before coming back!
    Sorry no gossip at the mo - might have to wait till I know you all a bit better, I'm shy y'know

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Well I have been here only 2 weeks now so haven't had too much experience to comment on just yet- especially seen as we have spent most of our time driving around exploring the different areas.

I guess what Gina says is true really- the political comverstaions and winging etc would all come as you build on friendships and establish comon ground and boundries etc.

Once i've settled in more I will come back to thins and give you my personel opinions- if you're still around by then.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!