Thread: What does it take to be registered as a medical doctor in NZ?

esculape is offline Junior Member

Default What does it take to be registered as a medical doctor in NZ?

Hi, everyone!
    I am an overseas doctor, having been working for 15 years in general surgery. The country of my current employement has the health system comparable with NZ, which allows me to be registered as a medical doctor in NZ under provisional general scope.
    Although all the requirements for this form of registration are described in the Internet site of NZ Medical Council very clearly, I still have some questions.
    For example, what is the role of my current employer in the registration process? Should I look for a job offer in NZ before all?

I would be pleased to get messages from the doctors of NZ who have had such an experience or anyone who is familiar with this topic.

Thanks in advance,
    Esculape.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esculape View Post
    For example, what is the role of my current employer in the registration process? Should I look for a job offer in NZ before all?
    Esculape. Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure if we have any doctors on the forum but, if we have, perhaps this post will flush them out .

If you are a doctor I guess you wouldn'thave much trouble getting residency in NZ as you'd probably have enough points without a job offer. However, it is always a good idea to try for a job offer as it could help push your application through more quickly and it's one thing less to worry about when you get there. Knowing that they already have a job to go to must be a relief to many people.

Not sure about what part, if any, your employer would play in your registration, but I believe you would need a letter from them at some point confirming the job offer if you are claiming points for it on your application. It doesn't mention anything in here about involving an employer before registering. I don't know if you've come across this site for jobs in the medical profession .

Good luck with it all.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Mother Bear, thank you for your response and for your wishes!

Actually, I gain 110 points, but the problem is that I will be unable to work in my occupation under the Skilled Migrant Category until I am registered as a medical doctor in NZ. Therefore, I really don't know what would be worth for me now whether to send EOI or start the registration pathway for overseas doctors, or both? By the way, Mother Bear, maybe you know doctors with like experiences who might share them with me here, or maybe there are some other forums where I might find any necessary information?

Thank you in advance
    All regards
    Esculape.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

If doctor registration is anything like nurse registration I would start now. It could take 6-9 months. I think there is a part on the EOI that asks for registration details if you need to be registered to carry out your job. You don't need the job to get registered (well not for nursing anyway )

OH, nearly forgot to the forum.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Nicky, thanks! I think, I'd better launch the registration process. About your registration- well done, congratulations!
    Have you started to work yet? If you have, where is it, and what are your impressions of the hospital, environment, staff...?

Anyway, good luck!
    Esculape

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

I don't arrive in NZ until Sept and will start work in Oct. Looking forward to it.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch