Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restaurants

Kiwikeen is offline Junior Member

Default Restaurants

We are the tipical "eater outers" and would LOVE to hear about any excellent restaurants we can try in NZ.

If there are any SA folks in NZ - I'm sure you'll understand if I say we'll miss the Wimpy breakfasts, ocean basket and fishmonger seafood and our absolute favoroute Smith's and Wollensky steaks. Hubby LOVES a good steak -

Also any restaurant who cater for children where they can run around when they just cant sit still anymore?

Posted thread before spell-check (embarrassed) - still figuring out how it all works.

Duke is offline Senior Member

Hi KiwiKeen... Good luck w/ finding a child friendly restaurant on the South Island, other than McDonalds...they are not unwelcoming children but most restaurants seem to be empty, unless on the weekend. The prices for a meal seem expensive, so be very selective on where you choose to eat. I found a good pub and ate a Kiwi Burger..and I must say it was delightful... the lamb and the pavlova was good...and in ChCh, Queenstown we ate at a pizzerias( cant remember the names), we enjoyed the atmosphere and the service was great. The Hokey Pokey at the local TipTop is a must. Most of the time we just found out it was better to visit the grocery stores and prepare our own meals, since my OH loves to cook. And the fish& chips didnt seem all that great, it definatly is fried food but I did like the salad they put on the side. Good Luck on your hunt for spectacular food...please keep the forum informed on your favorite restaurant choices and types of foods you ate

molly is offline Member

Where should these restaurants be located? What kind of food do you prefer and most importantly how expensive?

There are lots and lots of excellent restaurants around here.

Cheers

Thanks so much for the replies - we'll be based in the North Island - Auckland to be specific - I hope there are more restaurants there - Duke:- we'll definitely keep the ones you recommended in mind when visiting the South Island.

Molly - hubby loves steak - talking about really good prepared steaks (very fussy) - I love pizza and pasta and seafood.
    Price wise :- lets put it this way - if its really well prepared we don't mind paying a bit more.

Thankfully we saw there are Nando's restaurants - which is one of our favorites.

molly is offline Member

Hi Kiwikeen

It is almost four years, since we left Auckland, but I guess some of the restaurants are still there.

Steaks: we absolutely loved Tony's restaurant (there are two - we liked the one on Lorne St much better).

Seafood: there are nice restaurants everywhere in Auckland, but the I liked especially the ones at the harbour (seafood market).

Italian: hmm, that's where we are quite fuzzy (being Swiss and having more or less adopted the Italian cuisine)... we haven't found a good one in Auckland (but a very, very good one in Wellington: Maria Pia's). There is also a great Italian shop where you get all the goodies so that you can prepare a nice meal yourself: La Bella Italia. They obviously also have an outlet in Auckland (133 - 135 Apirana ave, St. Johns)

Brightside is offline Junior Member

"but a very, very good one in Wellington: Maria Pia's"

Yay! Thanks for that info, because we are going to Wellington.
    xxxx

Wrekin Wanderer is offline Junior Member

Can recommend " The Twisted Hop" in Christchurch on Popular Street. Very good food and excellent value.

Also for a chinese, the "Gourmet and New" on Lincoln road gave us a fine meal last week too

molly is offline Member

La Bella Italia also serves reaaaallllly nice lunch (and they also have degustation dinners from time to time). They have very good Italian Products (real Parma Ham or Mozzarella etc.). There is another shop just a few streets away (both in Petone) called On Tray's which imports goodies from all over the world. It is run by a SA couple and we regularly go there for all kinds of cheeses and meat - yum!

By the way: Wellington is full of nice restaurants and discovering them is great fun.

duane1x is offline Member

On the one hand you're asking for good food, even willing to pay for it, and on the other a place where your kids can run around. I think there's a bit of mutual exclusion there. But if you make it to Nelson there's a great spot called the Honest Lawyer pub where we go on a nice day to have a pint and some great wedgies at tables on their extensive lawn and the kids can and do kick the soccer ball around out in the green space. Highly recommended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast