Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Situation,Help!

rorysd is offline Junior Member

Question Odd Situation,Help!

Hi All, This has happened really fast. I've been looking into NZ for some time so I filled out the EOI and it totaled 140 pts. Okay I didn't submit it but went to a NZ job site and posted my resume and applied for a couple jobs, I'm in the Aviation industry.
    Now only 3 weeks later I was contacted and have a phone interview set up for the 19th of Feb. they know i haven't submitted any paperwork. What happens if they offer me a job? Is it really possible to get thru immigration in a timely fashion to accept a job offer should it happen!

thanks,
    rorysd
    Last edited by rorysd; 17-02-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling error

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you have 140 points or more you will be near the top of the list for getting picked earlier than those with less points. If you also find you have a job offer, just let INZ know (if you are going to submit your EOI before you get an offer) and they will amend your records and possibly move you up the list a little further.

Often you will find that employers are aware of the situation with INZ and are prepared to wait for your paperwork to go through. This isn't always the case but it's their loss if they aren't prepared to wait. If your PR hasn't come through and you really need to take up your job, then you can apply for a Work Permit which will allow you to work in NZ and will run alongside your PR application.

NZ is keen to get skilled people into jobs there so, hopefully, they will try to make things easy for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Question

Is a work visa easier and faster than thru the EOI process especially since the NZ empolyer posted the jobt o international applicants and are contacting me?

Thx,
    rorysd

knight is offline Junior Member

Excellent news.

Motherbear is correct, you can look to get a work visa through the possible job offer and in the meantime you apply for yr residency. Temp work visas are faster to get than a PR. It also depends how much time is the employer willing to wait. For PR it will take a couple of months from when you submit your EOI while it will take just a couple of weeks for the visa.

In the meantime start collating all the info you need for when you receive the application for PR.

Well done and good luck

Blog Entries

A Work Permit (or visa if you're applying from outside NZ) is pretty straightforward if you have the relevant skills and a job offer. It's also a lot quicker - can only be a matter of days in some cases. You won't have to go through all the palaver of the EOI and ITA etc. but it is only a temporary visa and doesn't stand instead of getting PR.
    Mother Bear

Smile

Your input is both encouraging and greatly appreciated. I have been totally honest with the employer and have also been contacted by a couple other asking about my long term expectations and commitment. I'm single but also 50 years young, so that may play against me like it does here in the U.S.

only time will tell,I'm looking forward to the phone interview next week especially since I've never experienced one in all my years. It's very hard not to get excited.

really a happy camper to have found this forum!!!

Rorysd

Blog Entries

Good luck with the interview and please let us know how it goes.

It's worth remembering that 50 years old = a lot more experience than a 25 year old would have to offer. This has been a big problem here in the Middle East where employers looked to younger people to bring more zing to their workplaces. Now it's starting to swing back the other way where more enlightened companies realise that, although the young folks may have more energy they don't always have the type of knowledge that can only gained by hands on experience at a job over a long period of time. This is important especially when something goes wrong.
    Mother Bear

molly is offline Member

Hi Rorysd

No worries - we were in exactly the same situation 5 years ago (also Aviation Industry). We came here with a work visa (which was for that specific job only). As soon as we were settled down a bit, we then applied for PR.

Age is not really an issue (from an immigration point of view) - as long as you are not older than 55. And Kiwis are usually really easy going - we never experienced any problems with age or anything else (NZ has no official retirement age).

Good luck

Smile

Thank you for the encouragement. You mentioned you too were/are in the aviation industry. When I filled out The EOI I didn't see aviation expertise mention as a shortage or even mentioned on the Skilled list. I'm a US FAA Lic. Aircraft mechanic and the closest profession I saw was automotive motor mechanic. I used that since I have 10 years of experience there before i went on to college and into the aviation field where I'm and want to be in NZ.
    I didn't submit the EOI yet but did I miss a job category?

The employer I'm talking too is about 400 employees, do you all think they'll be in the position to help me with a a least a work visa?

Rorysd
    Last edited by rorysd; 18-02-2008 at 09:00 AM.

molly is offline Member

Hi Rorysd

We were in the lucky position that my husband was badly needed (helping to introduce the A320) and I was the one with more points and my profession was on the list (aviation psychologist).

I don't know why Aviation experience is not mentioned on the list as in fact there IS a shortage in the industry (not for pilots, but for skilled mechanics/engineers).

Anyhow, you can certainly use your experience as automotive motor mechanic to get additional points.

As for the work visa: if I remember correctly, they didn't organise the visa for us. But if you have a signed contract, then it is just a formality to get the work visa. I would certainly ask if they can help you, maybe they are better organised than the company we worked for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast