Thread: Prospective migrant...

OneCurlyFry is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Prospective migrant...

Hello there,

Greetings to all! I just posted in the introduction forum, but some quick background about me...

I'm 24 years old living in the USA. I'm looking to move to NZ within the next year or two. I've never traveled there, but have been infatuated with NZ since I was a kid. Not sure why - just happened that way.

Lots of questions, like everyone else...

To anyone in an IT related field... I have an A+, N+, and CCNA certification, with (by the time I leave) 3-4 years in IT related experience. I would like to get a networking position in NZ, but will only have ~1 year in the field by the time I leave, which I worry won't qualify me for the handful of jobs I've found on NZ job sites. Two questions pertaining to that:

1) Are my certifications & experience enough to land a decent job in NZ? In networking?
    2) I do NOT have a degree (in progress, online, will finish in spring 2010), and even when I finish it, it's Business-Information Systems (business degree, emphasis on IT), so it will not qualify me for the 50 points for the SMC point system. Will my certifications? If not, are there any Certs I could get that WOULD qualify me? Or any Certs that might provide better job opportunities?

Any thoughts to unique challenges that accompany moving to NZ on my own? It's possible I could find Ms. Right who is willing to travel half way across the world with me, but I've not been willing to settle down... including a move 2000 miles away near San Francisco for 1 year back in 2006/2007. I knew exactly 0 people within 1000 miles of me when I made that move, but my family was still only a 4 hr flight away. The thought of moving half-way across the world seems a bit daunting!

A lot of information is available on the myriad sites NZ govt has set up, many of which are posted here on this site. Are there any good books anyone can recommend on making the move? I am the type that would really appreciate having the text in my hands.

I hope to talk to many of you soon! (and maybe someday stroll into your cafe's!!)

Warm regards, and many thanks,

Scott

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Scott and to MoveToNZ.

Sorry I can't help with the IT and job queries and will leave them for someone more in the know. Are you able to tell from looking at NZ job sites which qualifications and certifications are most desired there? That should point you in the right direction.

Going to NZ on your own probably means that you'll have greater flexibility in where you go and what you do, which could have benefits in the beginning while you're trying to find your feet. You won't have to consider anyone else's needs. The kiwis are friendly and I'm sure you'll soon make friends to fill in the companionship gap.

Good luck with your plans. I'm sure you'll have a great time exploring what NZ has in store for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

OneCurlyFry is offline Junior Member

Default Yay! Great news from Down Under (well, sort of down under!)

Kind of a bizarre twist on this whole move...

I'm talking online yesterday with an old friend of mine that I used to work with. He spent 2007 in London, before returning home to the US in Dec. Our conversation went like this:

Me: Hey dave, how're things?
    Dave: Great! Just started my new job!
    Me: Oh yeah, where at?
    Dave: New Zealand.

Me:

We're going to arrange a time where we can chat online (he works until about midnight local time, and i'm usualy sleeping by then) - but he has a ton of information ranging from how he got there, to expenses, to what ChCh is like, job market, housing, etc etc.

I'm now planning on a Oct/Nov trip out there.. maybe even buy a 1 way ticket.

Scott

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

That's just great news. Now you can get your information straight from the horse's mouth, as we say. There's nothing like having firsthand information from someone who's done the same thing.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.