Thread: Just for a starter ?

annemarie is offline Junior Member

Default Just for a starter ?

Hello everyone!
    I have been trawling the websites trying to take in as much info as I can about a possible move to NZ. This is such a friendly site that I thought you wouldn't mind putting me straight on some queries I have!
    I am qualified to NVQ3 in hairdressing and assume I don't need to be assessed by NZQA as it is on their list (under Service and sales worker 51411) . My OH is a highly qualified Commercial Deep Sea Diver with over 20 years experience but think he will need to have his quals sent off for assessment.
    Points wise, to stand a good chance of selection, either of us would need to get a job offer to get over the 100 point mark. We have 3 kids(19,18,8) who are all dependant on us financially and live with us.
    I am hopefully going to apply without an agent but will need BIG help from people like yourselves...PLEASE!
    We are going out for a holiday to visit my brother and his family (they migrated to NZ Sept 06) this summer,fingers crossed, and hope to get a good feel for the country.
    If I get a visa with a job offer and don't like it,or they don't like me, what committments do I have towards my employer? As a family do we all need to arrive in NZ at the same time to validate the visa...kids finishing college etc. What time frame do we have once visa is issued?
    Please jump in if I have the wrong end of the stick on anything. My head feels as though it will burst with all the info.
    Many thanks for any bits of advice.
    Annemarie

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

to MoveToNZ, Annemarie.

If you get a job offer and apply for and get PR you are more or less a free agent job-wise unless you have gained extra bonus points for the job offer. If that is the case then you must stay in that employment or similar skilled employment for at least 3 months.

If you apply for a Work Permit instead of PR, then you are tied to the employer with whom your job offer lies unless you apply to change the conditions of your WP.

Having close family in NZ gains you extra points so it's handy having your brother there.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

annemarie is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

Many thanks MotherBear for your quick reply.
    I feel there are so many issues of immigration that need to be researched before even contemplating applying for our EOI...tax, education,areas to live,property,prospects of careers for our children! The list is endless but we have the time to be careful before making such a huge decision.
    Do you know if we all need to arrive together to activate our visas?
    Has anyone had experience of the NZIS helpline? At ?1 a minute are they informative?
    Hugs
    Annemarie

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by annemarie View Post
    Do you know if we all need to arrive together to activate our visas?
    I don't think you do have to arrive together because I've heard of husbands/partners going ahead to NZ to start their new jobs or look for work while the OH remains behind to pack up the house or sell it. What you must do though is arrive before the year's grace is up. Within 12 months from the time you get PR you must have travelled to NZ to activate it or you will lose it.

Sorry, haven't used the helpline and hope I never have to at that price.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Hi Annemarie and

I'll leave those more knowledgeable on here to answer your questions! What I can say is, phone NZIS in Auckland. The website here seems to be down but you should be able to find the number on there. I've phoned them a few times when we were applying under the partnership visa & found them very helpful.

hth
    Sal
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!