Thread: Salary for tradesmen

alexincornwall is offline Junior Member

Default Salary for tradesmen

Does anyone know what sort of money a carpenter gets in NZ especially round the kapiti coast area. My brother lives in Sydney and is married to a kiwi and goes there regularly and says i could get $35 an hr. Anyone have any thoughts?

alexincornwall is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by alexincornwall View Post
    Does anyone know what sort of money a carpenter gets in NZ especially round the kapiti coast area. My brother lives in Sydney and is married to a kiwi and goes there regularly and says i could get $35 an hr. Anyone have any thoughts?
    They never give a salary in the job adverts!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Alex, to the forum.

I doubt this will be much help. It just gives a brief mention of rates but they are from 2006. Perhaps the site in general, being carpenter-oriented may have something of general interest for you.

I don't know if you can glean any information from here . It's an American site but to the right there's a salary comparison tool which includes NZ in the dropdown menu. There's several different pages to wade through and click on things but I haven't followed through to see if the end result is worth it.

Normally I would say to look through job sites to see what pay they are offering, but Mark on another similar thread is saying that the job adverts don't carry details on salary and he may well be right as I haven't found any with salaries on so far.

Have a look on here anyway to give you some idea of what's kicking about.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hi Alex,

Haven't you heard the one about not coming to NZ if you want to get rich?

Other members might have a different view, but none of the tradesmen I know got anything above $23 an hour on first arrival in NZ. And they only managed a few bucks more after they completed their NZ registration. I'm talking about time-served electricians, welders, brick layers and heating engineers. I've heard stories that a good stainless steel welder can earn up to $50 an hour, but the one I know is only making half that and he could weld for God.

My advice in the current climate would be stay home if you've still got a job. Half the migrants I know have been laid off in the last few weeks - last in first out I'm afraid.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

We've just had some ecellent tradesmen doing work for us in the studio and they only get $25/hr - it's about the standard rate. Like Koko says, NZ isn't renowned for paying high salaries. Kiwi's are some of the least paid people in the world!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

ttash is offline Junior Member

Hi there

Thats about right - if you are lucky

When we first arrived, my husband was on $16.00 an hour. He is a master carpenter with bucketloads of experience of high qquality work.

Now he is on $35.00 an hou before stoppages.

Im not sure about the Kapiti coast - we are in the Coromandel area so it may be different. He is on a good wage though and we do know that.

(We also struggle on that too but thats another story!)