Thread: Joys of Spreadsheets!

heidi is offline Member

Default Joys of Spreadsheets!

I have just discovered spread sheets, and thought I'd share the joy for those like me who didn't know what fun they can be, or how easy to use!

You can plug in endless possibilities and come out with what salary you'd need to make them happen, or conversely see how much and where you can save to make things happen on a given salary.

Don't know what/if we're allowed to link to, but there is one already set up on another a link from another forum that have the nz tax and mortgage figures built in so it really is great for playing with and trying endless scenarios on!

The roller coaster continues!

Now if only they'd make prices known on nz real estate sites instead of this 'offers' and 'by negotiation' secrecy our roller coaster ride wouldn't have to go into those unknown tunnel bits. lol

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You're not the first on here to have found the spreadsheet experience Heidi. Anything that focuses your attention and is helpful at the same time is a good thing.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

catt is offline Member

Default Spreadsheet link

Heidi i would like that link if you can get it to me maybe in private message if it is not allowed to be posted here. Cheers

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default On real estate

One thing that I've noticed here is that people don't seem to be in much of a hurry to sell (and maybe not to buy, either).

The auction and by negotiation sales don't work like they do in the US (I don't know about Canada). That is, it doesn't seem that 'auction' means 'bargain' here--it means 'trying to get as much as I can and if I don't like the offers I won't sell'.

I used to watch the real estate listings quite closely and noticed how many of those 'auction' properties kept reappearing. There are also quite a few properties in our area that have been on the market for the entire six months we've been here. Until recently, 180 days on the market in the US was considered an eternity. Here they sit, and with no adjustment in the price.

I don't know how true that is of other markets in NZ, but in Chch it seems to be ... well, just odd I guess.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heidi View Post
    I have just discovered spread sheets, and thought I'd share the joy for those like me who didn't know what fun they can be, or how easy to use!

You can plug in endless possibilities and come out with what salary you'd need to make them happen, or conversely see how much and where you can save to make things happen on a given salary.

Don't know what/if we're allowed to link to, but there is one already set up on another a link from another forum that have the nz tax and mortgage figures built in so it really is great for playing with and trying endless scenarios on!

I too saw this link however I had already done my own one and programmed in a proposed budget using suggested figures from this forum and the other one. It has been invaluable in helping me work out if we can afford to move or not. See, all is not lost. At a glance you can see where you can economise and what you can expect to have left each week/month. Go for it - hope this helps you get things into perspective
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch