Thread: Where to marry?

barbm is offline Junior Member

Smile Where to marry?

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and have a few questions. I am an American who met a Kiwi man online about four years ago, we have corresponded and visited each other ever since that time. We are now considering marriage and would be living in NZ. My question is, which way would be less difficult? To marry in the U.S and then move to NZ or... move to NZ and then marry? Any help in this matter would be really appreciated.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Barbm, welcome aboard.

That's a different sort of question you're asking. Firstly I would mention that, if you're wanting to settle in NZ immediately after you marry, you would need to apply for a visa of a permanent nature. There's various ways you can go about this but the most obvious is for your kiwi guy to sponsor you under the Partnership Category . Whenever a partner wishes to sponsor someone, it is required that you have been living together in a genuine and stable relationship for 12+ months. If you have only seen one another periodically and haven't lived together perhaps it would be easier for you to marry in the US and, after living together for the requisite 12 months you could move to NZ. This is a quick check so you can see for yourself what is required.

Another alternative is if you can apply for a Work Permit for NZ and enter the country in this way. That would allow you enough time to do the living together thing before applying for residency.

Have a look at this previous thread though. Kiaora has put in a lot of work finding out the best way to get into NZ to be with her fiance and came up with this .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.