Thread: One for the Experts!!!

nhuggy is offline Junior Member

Default One for the Experts!!!

Hi Everybody,

Hope this isn't too odd, but I thought if anyone can help me then they are probably here! My wife's 12 yr old daughter was born in NZ and has a Kiwi Father ( no contact ) , and a NZ passport as well as a U.K passport. If we moved (came on holiday) to NZ would we be able to stay due to our daughter being a Kiwi? Would it help at all? My wife had residency 12 years ago but didn't get it stamped when leaving so isn't a returning resident. Also her parents and brother have been residents for 20 years.

Any help really appreciated, Thanks Neil.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

to the forum, Neil.

This question is a bit different from the norm. The usual thing would be for a family member to sponsor another family member for residency, but unfortunately a child under 17 years doesn't comply with the sponsorship requirements . The child must be at least 17 years of age. One of the requirements is that the child would be able to support you for a number of years after you arrived in NZ if necessary, so a child of 12 would not be able to comply with this.

However, if your wife has parents and a brother in NZ, there's nothing to stop them sponsoring her under the Family Category. Her brother and parents would come under this category to sponsor an adult child or sister. You would be pulled along under your wife's application. Your daughter should be able to get into NZ with her NZ passport so I don't envisage that being a problem.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nhuggy is offline Junior Member

Thanks Mother Bear, I thought you might have an answer for me! The thing is, we are thinking of just going to NZ next year on a visitors visa, and looking for jobs when we are there and then applying to stay. We have every intention of staying if we are allowed, but obviously would like to know how good a chance we have before we go. It may sound bizarre, but as we will not be "skilled" migrants we think it may be easier to find work when we are in NZ and apply when we have jobs.

Neil

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

The crux of the matter is whether you can get the type of job that will help you get PR and this is where some people come unstuck. If your job type doesn't fit in with what NZ wants, you may be able to work on a WP, but it might not take you any further towards being able to stay in NZ indefinitely. However, being sponsored by a family member should normally lead to PR. I don't think you can count on your daughter being able to remove obstacles for you, unfortunately.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.