Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immigration Advisors

Cynicoren is offline Junior Member

Default Immigration Advisors

Hello,

I am looking for an immigration agent that also help to find a job, or one that knows whether I have a chance of finding a job in NZ.
    I know only one for now, but I don't know how reliable is he.

Thank you

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Buyer beware:

Migrants have no hope of refunds after firm wound up - South Island

Would-be migrants to New Zealand who lost at least $600,000 to a failed Christchurch immigration firm have no hope of getting their money back.

The migrants, many from third-world countries, paid Stu Macann and Associates Ltd (trading as newjobz) about $3000 to help them secure a job in New Zealand so they could emigrate. The firm promised to refund the fee if no job was forthcoming.

Stu Macann and Associates Ltd closed its doors in November last year owing 229 clients about $600,000, according to its own figures.

The business, however, carried on in the same premises under the name Skills New Zealand Ltd, but renounced any obligation to refund unhappy clients. The firm undertook to continue to try to find for jobs for the clients of newjobz.

Now both companies are in liquidation and any hope of money or service is gone.

Liquidator Keiran Horne, principal of Crichton Horne and Associates, said creditors of Skills New Zealand Ltd were owed about $100,000 and it looked as though no money would be available for unsecured creditors.

Stu Macann and Associates (newjobz) was expected to pay a small amount in each dollar owed but most of the migrants were not listed as creditors of the company, she said. The company, which also worked as an independent assessor for the Accident Compensation Corporation, had about $4000 in assets to pay debts.

Migrants, who continue to contact The Press, shocked by the turn of events, say New Zealand has been left looking like a banana republic as a result of the saga.

Hisham Khairy Mohamed, an Egyptian working in South America who lost his $3000 fee, said he was astounded New Zealand could allow a company to renege on its obligations.

"It gives New Zealand a bad name when the Government lets this company operate and take innocent people's money. Who would have thought this could happen in a secure country?" he said.

Mohamed has written to Consumer Affairs Minister Judith Tizard, who has referred the matter to the Commerce Commission. The commission has already looked at the case twice but no prosecution has followed.

Mike Quilang, a Filipino who is lecturing in Dubai, approached The Press wanting to know if the directors were being "punished".

A potential migrant from Macedonia, Toni Kuzman, said he paid his $3000 fee (one year's salary in his country) and all he got for his money was "CV preparation and email correspondence".

"They never called me on the phone. For the money, they did not give me a single phone call, at least to hear my voice. How many members like me burnt in this?" he said.

Another factor upsetting the former clients is that newjobz represented itself as a registered immigration agent when no registration process existed.

The Government this year passed the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act, which, from May next year, requires such firms as newjobz to register with the Immigration Advisers Authority. An adviser who fails to register is liable to imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding $10,000.

Macann declined to answer questions from The Press, saying he was not a director at the time of liquidation. The only director of the company at the time of liquidation, Christchurch developer Stuart Leck, also declined to comment.

Migrants who want to register as a creditor of newjobz should email marie. inch@cha.co.nz.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Cynicoren

There's an agency linked to this forum that you could have a look at. It's called New Life New Zealand . They handle jobs and can help with immigration matters.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Actually

That's the agency I've been thinking about... But I just have to make sure:
    1. That they are good and legit.
    2. That there is competition in this field, because It's price is a little high.

I've been told that there are some scammers out there, that they promise to immigrants to find a job and run with the money.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicoren View Post
    I've been told that there are some scammers out there, that they promise to immigrants to find a job and run with the money.
    This is very true so you are indeed wise to take care in choosing a reputable agency. Some of the consultants from NLNZ are personally known to a few of us on the forum so there is a commitment to perform. When the agency first started up they ran a promotion via this site and had a very good response. So far we haven't had any negative feedback and it would be very easy for someone to do this on the forum.

With NLNZ you can choose the type of plan you want as the scheme is set up in separate modules so, if you want to pay less, you just ask for less.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thank you,
    I understand the value of NLNZ and it is priced fairly, just wanted to know ppl had good experince with them.
    Since no one answered to a previous post of mine, maybe they have the answer to : " Can you find a job as an MBA graduate in NZ ?"...

bstar is offline Member

I used Malcolm Pacific in Auckland when I was in the UK...yes they were pricey, but it got me my residency quickly and hassle free (see signature for time line)...they are well known and very good.
    In answer to your MBA question, I hold an MBA and strangely it can go against you for some reason....not always, but sometimes.....but it is not as recognised here yet as in the US and Europe. I am sure that will change in time....but then I found in the UK that there was some insecurities around 'MBA's'.
    EOI submitted 9th April 2007
    EOI drawn 11th April 2007
    ITA received May 8th 2007
    ITA received by NZIS June 1st 2007
    PR approved by NZIS June 19th 2007

Arrived in Auckland August 23rd 2007

stanley is offline Member

Hi has any one used OES or overseas emigration services based in Edinburgh.
    would be interested if anyone has used this firm and how they found them.

Many thanks,

Paula.

Mel John is offline Member

Smile Free Advice

You could also try Craig & Tracey at Welcome to NZemigrate living in and moving to New Zealand.
    They are extremely helpful and don't charge for their advice!!
    EOI Submitted - 19/09/07
    EOI Selected - 26/09/07
    EOI Decision Successful - 19/11/07
    ITA Received - 22/11/07
    Medicals passed - 14/12/07:
    ITA Received by INZ -25/01/08:
    Approved in principle - 01/02/08
    Migrant Levy paid & Residency Approved - 7/2/08:
    Passports with visas received - 09/02/08
    We ARE HERE ..........JUNE 2008!!!!

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I am curious to know what the consultants did for you, Bstar? I'm wondering what sort of service they provided that you couldn't have done for yourself. This would be helpful for those considering using one.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast