Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: importing mother-in-law

heidi is offline Member

Default importing mother-in-law

I promised OH I'd ask....

I told him about the 'balance of off-spring having to be in nz' rule, his mother has four sons, only one (my OH) will be in NZ. He argues that his mother doesn't speak to two of her sons (they live on the other side of Canada and there were serious issues with one of them), the third one she doesn't have much of a relationship with and her eldest and only from her first marriage (my OH) is her only hope to have someone look after her.

I don't know that she would want to come, I'm sure she wouldn't /couldn't manage just travelling to visit . He wants to propose to her that after we have PR that she move in with us in NZ..

How flexible is immi on that 'balance of' rule?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

The balance rule applies if offspring are still in the 'home' country. As 2 of her children are in Canada, it throws the balance out anyway. I would say that this would be a case that INZ would consider, but still wouldn't be a guarantee.

He also shouldn't make any guarantees as once you've got PR you need to have held it for at least 3 years (talk of extending it to 4) before you can sponsor anyone. While this is the current rule, 3 years is a long time in politics and the immigration laws change frequently, so the possibility of sponsorship of parents may not be the case in another few years. There is also the impending baby boomer retirees that NZ is worried about, so they may not want more older people in the country. So many considerations!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Heidi,

I read your subject line and I thought, 'Hmm, surely there's a MAF restriction on such hazardous materials and dangerous animals.'
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

heidi is offline Member

LOL KH

thanks Taffy

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If your MIL can prove that 2 of her sons are living permanently in another country it would help her case with regard to balance of family, but it is not enough just to say they are.

As Taffy says, INZ is forever changing its rules so nothing is set in stone where immigration is concerned.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    IAs Taffy says, INZ is forever changing its rules so nothing is set in stone where immigration is concerned.
    Of potential interest to Taffy (unless he is already aware) I was browsing through the relevant forms for sponsoring parents and, lo and behold, INZ has changed their form for the sponsor by adding another 4 pages .

What caught my eye and made me spit out my dummy was that it says the sponsor (who, I might add, needs to have been living in NZ for the past 3 years at least) now needs to apply for a police certificate (page 3). This requirement doesn't appear on the previous form (of which I have a hard copy).

I find it rather ridiculous to ask a NZ resident, who has already done the police certificate thing when applying for PR, to once more prove their lack of criminality in other countries that they may have lived in (but probably haven't) for 12 months or more during the last 10 years. If they did have a criminal record before their application was finalised, they wouldn't have been granted PR in the first place. Then, despite having lived in NZ for the last 3 years, they expect sponsors to go through the procedure all over again. I realise that not everyone stays the whole time in NZ, but most people do.

Say, for example, we weren't applying for residency and the question of sponsorship didn't arise, this potentially criminal element would still be residing happily in NZ and INZ would be none the wiser. I can understand their need to ascertain that we, as sponsored-persons-to-be are of good character but fail to understand why they need to drag the sponsor through this malarky all over again. Even if he was a hardened crim, we ourselves might be pure as the driven snow in character and not allowed in whilst he continues as if nothing has happened. Sorry, but I just don't see the logic.

I'm afraid to look at the rest of the form in case I don't like what I read.
    Mother Bear

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

The topic of this thread is seriously frightening! Heidi, I can only hope your MIL is alot better than mine. Just the thought of moving mine out to NZ is enough to give me nightmares for weeks!
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo.Jon View Post
    Heidi, I can only hope your MIL is alot better than mine. Just the thought of moving mine out to NZ is enough to give me nightmares for weeks!
    Even your adopted forum MIL?
    Mother Bear

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

Obviously I was not referring to you Mother (in-law) Bear
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

I find it rather ridiculous to ask a NZ resident, who has already done the police certificate thing when applying for PR, to once more prove their lack of criminality in other countries that they may have lived in (but probably haven't) for 12 months or more during the last 10 years. If they did have a criminal record before their application was finalised, they wouldn't have been granted PR in the first place. Then, despite having lived in NZ for the last 3 years, they expect sponsors to go through the procedure all over again. I realise that not everyone stays the whole time in NZ, but most people do.

Say, for example, we weren't applying for residency and the question of sponsorship didn't arise, this potentially criminal element would still be residing happily in NZ and INZ would be none the wiser. I can understand their need to ascertain that we, as sponsored-persons-to-be are of good character but fail to understand why they need to drag the sponsor through this malarky all over again. Even if he was a hardened crim, we ourselves might be pure as the driven snow in character and not allowed in whilst he continues as if nothing has happened. Sorry, but I just don't see the logic.

MB, they ask for the criminal record of the sponsor because u r not eligable to sponsor someone into nz if :

Character requirements for partners

Partners supporting a residence application under Partnership policy are not eligible if, in the 7 years before the date application is made, they have been convicted of any offence involving domestic violence or any offence of a sexual nature (unless they are granted a character waiver).

so they have to check up on those last 7years in every country the sponsor has lived in.

that s because if u have been convicted of an offence involving domestic violence the chance u might do it again is there and it would be easy for the person applying for a visa to get residency if they have been involved in domestic violence.
    so that s why they have put that in place :) does that make sense???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast